Solar Power for off grid living, Discussion

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Guest3123, Nov 16, 2014.

1. Guest3123

Thread Starter Member

Oct 28, 2014
    Just a general discussion about how Solar Power for off grid living works.

I'll start off by saying that most systems are either 12V or 24 volt systems.

Some things to talk about are MPPT Charge Controllers, Power Inverters, types of batteries used for a battery bank to store the electricity that will be used when there is no sun to charge the solar panels.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2014
  2. Kermit2

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 5, 2010
    Google? What the F*#$ is a Google?
    How can a website deliver thousands or millions of pages of returns on ANY topic my little mind can imagine? Is it like magic or something?
    How do they do it?

Edit: Original post this response is aimed at has been changed to something quite reasonable sounding now! We now return you to the original thread already in progress. :)

Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
    ErnieM likes this.
  3. Alec_t

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 17, 2013
    Plenty of devices/appliances can. My kettle, for example, handles 2000W. Many industrial motors draw >65A. Transformers or switch-mode-power-supplies (SMPS) convert 120VAC or 240VAC to lower voltages, if necessary, for low power appliances such as your 5VDC phone charger.
    They index the whole of the web, and use clever algorithms to match search queries to indexed web content.

4. Kermit2

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 5, 2010
    What's an al gore ithms? What does it do? How many do you have?
    Is the index at the front or back of the web?

(damn, I need some coffee) :)

5. Alec_t

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 17, 2013
    LOL. You're probably more clued up about US politics than I am, so you tell us :).
    Personally, none. How many do you have?

6. atferrari

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 6, 2004
    It seems that this htread is consistently going nowhere...but going. Keep it alive, please!

BTW, this kettle is able to handle up to 40 KW

Tetera 40 KW.jpg

7. NorthGuy

Jun 28, 2014
  8. Guest3123

Thread Starter Member

Oct 28, 2014
  9. Kermit2

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 5, 2010
    Off-grid will need lots of batteries. I started down this road a few years back and testify that the peripheral equipment requirements of off grid electricity generation are going to cost at least as much as the panels and probably much more.
    that being said... using them for feeding the grid with excess power is the cheapest route into the realm. Really helps in those cases where the utility allows sell back values equal to user rates.

10. john fisher

Jan 13, 2015
    Solar power is the best option for the off grid ones. Electricity generated from solar energy can be stored and used later when there is no sunlight . Many renewable energy provider companies are working on the solar technology to provide us us newer and better solar gadgets.

11. profbuxton

Feb 21, 2014
    I currently use a solar powered clothes dryer. Have been for years.

atferrari and john fisher like this.
  12. john fisher

Jan 13, 2015
    Solar Powered cloth dryer is so cool and even helps save money on electricity bills !

13. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    My mom was very fond of her solar powered clothes dryer.

Nothing else makes your clothes smell fresher!

atferrari likes this.
  14. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    Depends where you live. Some places, you just provide a home for mold and mildew.

15. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    Some that live completely off grid use both solar power and wind power so that, when one isn't providing energy , the other may be.
    For either or both you need a lot of storage batteries to store the power for when it's needed, probably a few tens of kilowatt-hours worth.