Solar panels and Peltier

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Mohammad abdullah, Jul 12, 2016.

1. Mohammad abdullah

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 30, 2015
    Hello there I want to connect 6pcs of 12709 peltier in configuration of 3 in series and 2 set in parallel directly to 280W solar panel.

The hot said of the peltier configuration will be in irrigation canal.

any circuits should I integrate with this plan and how?

I don't have any knowledge of electricity or electronic.

Hope to find some help with this.

2. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    What are the specifications of the panel, its open circuit voltage and short circuit current? Does it contain any circuitry to regulate the output?

Your panel is not going to be able to power all of those modules at their capacity.

What are you cooling?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
  3. Mohammad abdullah

Mar 30, 2015
    Actually it is 300w solar panel but I detect 20w as loss consideration Voc 45.6, Isc 8.78.
    No it has not any regulators we have all most clear sky all the time here in Saudi Arabia.
    I want to cool drinking water tank I thought it will be better than zeer pot.

4. Sensacell

Jun 19, 2012
    If you are in Saudi Arabia, the humidity must be very low?
    You could probably achieve better results using the solar panel to force air through a evaporative cooler, like a Zeer pot on steroids.

In terms of raw cooling power, this would beat peltier hands down.

wayneh likes this.
  5. Mohammad abdullah

Mar 30, 2015
    not in our side I live near the east cost of S.A it may be good for central region people but it is good idea also to cool down the solar panels to maintain its performance.

6. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    I do not think OP got what you said.

7. Mohammad abdullah

Mar 30, 2015
    But he had an idea with low amps :) .

I connected tow 12706 in series to 12v 2A adapter I placed the heat sink in bucket of water and placed the tow peltier on them with out heat paste. and it give me a little it reached 17C on cold side then started to rise again with only 1.7A,

Should I connect them to the panel and see or check it with variable bench power supply to figure out the best working volts and current?

8. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    It is you who did not get what Sensacell said.
    You should not use peltier without a heatsink pasted in the hot side. It will burn out.
    You need a big heat sink for two peltiers. Use thermal paste to glue then to the sink or find a way to mount it .
    Peltier will burn out if it is not cooled fast enough. You need to use a big heatsink on the hot side.. an a fan if you are going to use it for a long time.

After properly heatsinking the hot side you can use it too cooldown anything you need by using the cold side.

Here is a picture of what I made to cool down overheating chipsets during repairing

1.jpg 2.jpg

The Peltiers hot side is permanently glued to the sink using thermal glue used to bond chips to heatsink.

This thing gets pretty hot with in 5 minutes

9. Mohammad abdullah

Mar 30, 2015
    I will put it in water canal "running water canal" so no need for huge heat sink.

10. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    If you use it to cool water you need another heatsink for the hot side.

11. Mohammad abdullah

Mar 30, 2015
    I have only one heat sink and it is on the hot side cold side will be attached to the water stainless container.

12. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    Show us the heatsink

13. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    Ok, that means that your arrangement of 3 in series is not bad. You could try 4. The panel cannot drive enough current to harm the peltier (except by overheating) so you don't need a regulator.

Putting a second string in parallel may not work well. One string will have a slightly lower resistance and will hog the current. I don't recall whether these modules draw more or less current as they get hot. If they draw less, the parallel arrangement will balance itself. If they draw more as they get hot, you'd be better off with a single string.

The only advantage of the second string would be greater efficiency. But a disadvantage would be a warmer cold side. The coolness at the cold side depends on the current, so with two strings your cold water won't get as cold.

14. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    The peltier I tested draws less current as it gets hotter. I needed to cool the hot side with forced cooling to get the rated current.
    If not cooled the peltier splits into two

wayneh likes this.