solar panel project

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Kaiser Ed Bayawa, May 23, 2015.

1. Kaiser Ed Bayawa

Thread Starter Member

Mar 19, 2015
    I want to build a solar panel that can supply the whole house. I already have 13 plates 12 volt battery from my uncles car. I am planning to buy a solar panel. Can anyone advise me what should I do in order for this project to be successful? Please.. any comments help alot. Thank You.

2. blocco a spirale

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 18, 2008
    Calculate how much power your house consumes and for how long. This will tell you how many amp/hours you require and from that you can estimate the size of solar panel and battery you need.

But, if all you have is an old car battery to charge; a 50-100W panel is probably all that you could use. You also need a charge controller and an inverter.

Last edited: May 23, 2015
    Kaiser Ed Bayawa likes this.
  3. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    I suggest starting small – maybe some LED lighting instead of a whole house – so that you learn what is involved. Beginners tend to overestimate what a solar panel can do, and underestimate the cost and complexity of an integrated system large enough for a home. The small amount you spend on a small unit will not be wasted, when your experience helps you build the bigger system properly.

A system based on a single car battery is a "small" system. It would not power more than some lighting. No appliances.

4. Kaiser Ed Bayawa

Thread Starter Member

Mar 19, 2015
    thank you sir

5. Kaiser Ed Bayawa

Thread Starter Member

Mar 19, 2015
    thank you sir

6. ian field

Distinguished Member

Oct 27, 2012
    AFAIK: by the time you get into inverters, most countries have building regs that require all work be done by a certificated electrician.

7. AnalogKid

Distinguished Member

Aug 1, 2013
    If you goal is to collect energy during daylight, and have enough stored energy to run your house all night, you are going to need dozens of car batteries. "...supply the whole house." needs a lot of definition. Refrigerators are very hunger. More for an electric dryer, more for an air conditioner, and more for an electric furnace.

ak

8. Roderick Young

Feb 22, 2015
    Much depends on the size of the house. A system built on a single car battery like you describe is enough for some places in third world countries, but remember that all they are running is maybe a couple lights and a radio. If you have a first world house, a single battery like that won't be enough. It would be enough for some LED lighting, and maybe a laptop (not a gaming laptop) for an hour.

The kind of system that is cost effective for a whole house generally does not use batteries at all. That takes several hundred square feet of solar panels, and is usually not a do-it-yourself job, although it is legal to self-install in places like California.

9. ian field

Distinguished Member

Oct 27, 2012
    Quite luxurious in the average mud hut.