Solar Charger for Mobile Phone

Discussion in 'Homework Help' started by Yvette_kur, May 24, 2015.

1. Yvette_kur

Thread Starter New Member

May 24, 2015
    Hi guys, I'm new to this forum, but if someone could help me out that would great!

I'm designing a solar charger for an iPhone for my circuits class, but my professor won't allow for the use of voltage regulators. This has made it a bit difficult to come up with a working solution.
    My search so far includes shunt regulators, BJTs, MOSFETs, and relays.

The solar panel is 18V @ 12W, and I don't want to simply throw in a bunch of resistors to dissipate all that energy. The plan is to possibly connect a few USB ports.

2. shteii01

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2010
    Use 5 volt zener diode?

3. Yvette_kur

May 24, 2015
    This is what I have so far...

4. shteii01

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2010
    1. You need blocking diode. This diode will allow current to flow from the panel into the iphone. It will block current from flowing from iphone into the panel.
    Do you have one?

5. shteii01

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2010
  6. Yvette_kur

May 24, 2015
    That's my problem. The voltage from the solar panel is variable and if I connect it directly to my phone that could potentially fry my battery (5V @ 1000mA)

7. MikeML

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 2, 2009
    If you connected your cell phone to a 5Vdc lab. power supply capable of delivering up to 10A, could that be used to charge it without additional circuitry?

Why do you need three sets of regulators where one would do it?

If you make a "series regulator", and the panel is in bright sun, the cell phone is accepting 1A of charging current at 5V, how much power will the series regulator need to dissipate?

8. shteii01

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2010
    That is why you need zener diode.

9. MikeML

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 2, 2009
    Where do you get a Zener diode that will dissipate 12W?

10. shteii01

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2010
    I never said that I had one.

So you are saying that simply sticking zener in there will not work.

The only other thing that I can think of is to build transistor/op-amp "amplifier" with a gain of 0.42. Op-amp probably will not work, not enough current at the output.

11. Alec_t

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 17, 2013
    How does your prof define 'regulator'? Does he mean an integrated circuit which regulates voltage? If not, you're facing an impossible task, since the phone input MUST be regulated to 5V.

anhnha likes this.
  12. MikeML

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 2, 2009
    A transistor-boosted Zener diode can dissipate many Watts in the transistor and only mW in the Zener...

71.gif

13. shteii01

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2010
    My guess they can not use purpose made regulator/chip, 7805 comes to mind...
    Under other circumstances all she would have had to do is panel>blocking diode>7805>iphone.

14. wu.robert1

Jun 27, 2013
    Hi, if we are going from 18V to 5V, you can also look into buck converters.

15. ian field

Distinguished Member

Oct 27, 2012
    Shunt regulators are quite common in solar applications.

The TL431 programmable zener can shunt up to 100mA.

If you need more than 100mA shunt, you can make a hybrid Sziklai pair with the TL431 and a PNP bipolar power transistor.

Unless you use logic level MOSFETs, some need about 6 - 8V on the gate to switch them on, so could be a bit tricky regulating 5V to charge a phone.

16. estebanzapirain

Sep 8, 2015
    I agree, why don't you just use a 7805? This should provide 5V regulated output. I don't know about efficiency...

17. ian field

Distinguished Member

Oct 27, 2012
    The standard 7805 has about 2 -3V dropout, so if the unregulated supply falls below about 8V the regulator output ceases. This can be a problem if the charging battery presents its voltage to the regulator output - drive current back in, and the regulator is toast.

There may be some justification to use one of the LDO variants.

At least one manufacturer is offering switch mode drop in replacements for 78xx regulators, they're a little bulkier so won't always fit existing equipment. The efficiency claimed for those is fairly typical for a SMPSU design.

18. Morvan

Jun 24, 2014
    Yvette Kur, there are plenty of Solar Panels with 5V100mA on the market. A good approach could be utilizing one of them. They never get burned your equipment and keep charge at trickle mode (secure charge).
    I have a circuit of solar charger, at my blog, whose you can view just for curiosity, once your magister do not wants it with regulator:
    https://morvlab.wordpress.com/teori...nica-pratica-montagem-de-um-carregador-solar/ (Ptg_Br).
    It uses a 10W Solar Panel and, thanks to a simple LM78?05, regulates from virtutally any current.