Solar Battery charger help

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by muanpuia, Mar 18, 2014.

1. muanpuia

Thread Starter New Member

Jul 1, 2013
    Hello friends, some thief stole the PVarray of my SolarSystem :) and i charge it with automotive battery charger for a month now already. But as the charge current is very low i dont think i can really use this charger for normal use because its voltage increase only by .2VDC(from 11.4 to 11.6) after a month of charging. Id be so glad if you give me a simple charger schematic or at least point me towards the formula on how many Amps do i need? Here is my battery specs. Type:Lead Acid Flooded Electrolyte Tubular Plate, Single Battery Voltage:2VDC, Total Battery Bank Capacity:1050Ah@C120/700Ah@C10, No of Battery in Series:6, Total Battery Bank Voltage (Nominal):12VDC

2. spinnaker

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009
    Proper battery charging is not an easy thing to do. There are chips out there that you can use to build a proper charger but it really might be easier and safer just to buy a charger.

You can learn a lot about charging batteries here:

http://batteryuniversity.com/

3. ronv

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 12, 2008

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Two point zero volts per cell seems wrong. Can you say why this battery is different from a sulphuric acid and lead car battery?

5. muanpuia

Jul 1, 2013
    Spinnaker, thank you so much for the link. Ronv, the battery bank is made up of six piece and it seems to be made of wood, i mean the housing. Brand name Tata BP Solar. And the ebay link, funny that its clearly written Does not ship to India. that includes me...hehe. #12, i dont know can i trust the manual, but its written 2v per cell.

#12 likes this.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Please measure each cell, one at a time, to see if there is more than a few tenths of a volt difference between any 2 cells. If you have standard lead acid batteries, the 11.6V could indicate a bad cell.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
  7. muanpuia

Jul 1, 2013
    I measure voltage of all the 6 cells, 5 of them are 2.15v and one is 2.18v. Now i think maybe the cable drop is too much, its about 18feet from the battery bank to the 1500Watt power inverter, is it ok? With this 12v/3Amp charger, can i charge my battery to its full capacity anyway, let alone the duration?

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    The cell measurements seem correct. That means you have already charged the cells properly. You have been measuring at the wrong end of the cable. Eleven percent drop in 18 feet tells me your wire is too small or you have a dirty connection.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2014