Software that is intelligent enough to differentiate and save serial data into different file

kuannygohcheetatt

Joined Oct 31, 2013
Hi guys i am connecting my arduino to my computer. Is that any software that is intelligent enough to differentiate and save different data into different file?the file in here means like text file

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
Hi guys i am connecting my arduino to my computer. Is that any software that is intelligent enough to differentiate and save different data into different file?the file in here means like text file
Does one already exist? Maybe, but I've never seen it.
You can always write said program...

What are the identifying characteristics of the data coming through the serial communications that tells you where to save it?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
What is the nature of the data? Ascii? binary?
I assume you mean save in the PC end?
There are a few programs out there you may be able to use such as the ones used in CNC controllers, it is usually geared towards RS232, but you can get serial adapters to translate different from different protocols.
Cadem Lite is one such free program.
Also I don't know if the HyperTerminal program is still around that used to come with Windows?
Do you mean you want to automatically save any file received to a new file?
Max.

kuannygohcheetatt

Joined Oct 31, 2013
What is the nature of the data? Ascii? binary?
I assume you mean save in the PC end?
There are a few programs out there you may be able to use such as the ones used in CNC controllers, it is usually geared towards RS232, but you can get serial adapters to translate different from different protocols.
Cadem Lite is one such free program.
Also I don't know if the HyperTerminal program is still around that used to come with Windows?
Do you mean you want to automatically save any file received to a new file?
Max.
I will send something like sensor one data and sensor two data wirelessly to the arduino, the program should be intelligent enough to differentiate it and save it in different file, for the data send i can use different name, does a program like this exist?

sirch2

Joined Jan 21, 2013
If it's serial data, what do you mean by "use a different name"? It's just serial data, it doesn't have a "name" but it may contain a header or something to indicate which sensor it came from. As tshuck said it sounds like you will have to write your own software.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Not likely that a program exists that does exactly what you want but you can create your own.
You need a platform that allows you to create your own auto scripts or batch files.
You can redirect serial data to a spreadsheet with the data streams sorted by sensors and then save the file as desired.

This is also straight forward to do in MATLAB.