Software Engineer -> Applications Engineer

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by tshuck, Dec 19, 2012.

1. tshuck

Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2012
    So, I am currently a software engineer at a relatively small company and I just got offered a job at a company I'd like to work for, much larger company, but as an applications engineer.

My goal is to design digital systems, and neither really gives me an opportunity to do that, however the new company would be a foot in the door for the digital design position I'd like to get to eventually.

What do you folks think?

2. Brownout

Jan 10, 2012
    What is the company's product? What will be your duties? Are you helping customers with applications involving digital components?

3. tshuck

Oct 18, 2012
    The second company primarily deals with A/V products to the consumer-sphere and engineering products to tech companies. My duties would be testing products and creating/relaying product specifications...No direct customer interactions... I hope...

4. Brownout

Jan 10, 2012
    If you would be helping customers with digital products, I'd say it's a good move. From the little information you've provided, I'd say keep looking.

5. tshuck

Oct 18, 2012
    Sorry, that's as much information I have at this point.

6. bountyhunter

Sep 7, 2009
    careful: I was one for 20 years. It's a vague, catch all position that can mean anything. In many companies, product groups dump whatever work they don't want to do into Applications.

In some companies they are nothing but brain dead Marketing flunkies who do handshake tours, in some they are fully technical system level designers who have to clean up the mess everybody else makes (fixing all their crap).

Find out what the job really is.

Been there, done that. You will be the backstop. You have to fully test new product releases and catch all the problems the designers were too lazy to debug because they didn't want to spend any time doing their job.

But don't worry... they won't fire you unless you miss something.