Soapbox - Comments on the back of a detergent carton

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by studiot, Aug 26, 2010.

1. studiot

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Nov 9, 2007
  2. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    You've got my interest. Is that the right link? For me, it goes to a lengthy description of non-replaceable parts and non-rebuildable washing machines.

John

3. studiot

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Nov 9, 2007
    Yes that's it, the man's page is about several pieces of modern design folly.

4. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    Must have been a big soapbox. Moreover, I agree completely.

Maybe that is because I actually enjoy repairing mechanical things, and best yet, doing a little preventive maintenance so the big repair never happens.

Just think, as mileage figures continue to increase, the disposable car with a sealed, non-refillable gas tank can't be far behind. Then all those drivers who can't figure out how to open the gas cap while talking on their cell phones will be relieved of one more, unpleasant chore.

John

5. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Planned obsolescence taken to it's logical conclusion. Too late for me, I've bought one in the last two years. It would be interesting to see a list of manufactures doing this. If it were really public it might be a major deterrent. Wonder if Consumer Reports has picked up on this?

Back in the late 70's many American car manufacturers were doing something similar. It darn near killed them, and started the downward spiral IMO.

6. Potato Pudding

Jun 11, 2010
    That is nothing new. Things have been heading this direction for years.

Back when I was looking for work in Electronics repair I saw a place with basically new 32" TV's filling a dumpster because full replacement that was the warranty mandated fix for a flaw in the design that probably saved $0.50 per TV but with around 1 in 500 TVs likely to fail in the first year.

Keep in mind that the manufactured cost is enough less than the retail cost, so that this is probably a win for profits.

7. Markd77

Sep 7, 2009
    The thing I really hate is stuff with non replaceable rechargable batteries. Everyone knows that they will be thrown away in 2 years. I tend to buy as high quality things as possible, and I'm not exactly rich.
    Case in point - I bought a tumble drier that was about 3 X the price of a cheap one. Part of the reason was its high energy rating - in the 6 years I've had it I've saved at least twice the cost of the machine in energy over the cheap one, plus it's still going strong and it's likely the cheap one would be in a scrapyard by now.

8. loosewire

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    You buy the best with warranty ,extended warranty.I have seen in the U.S.
    the big box stores that are In the on going sales mode.They move so much
    stuff It Is easier to offer you and exchange,once the serviceman says a
    part Is not In stock.

9. tom66

May 9, 2009
    One of the things I'm (and I'm sure a lot of other people are) beginning to notice is that electronics are no longer built to last.

Take pretty much any motherboard as an example. The caps filtering the 3.3V rail and Vcore rail are rated for 6.3V; which means their lifetime is halved compared to 10V or 16V caps. And my laptop has had so many faults that I doubt I would still be using it had I not purchased the 3 yr extended warranty.

10. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009

WHAT! Sure they are! Just fo r a.. )_g.

[ed]
    Sorry. The computer I bought yesterday just died.
    [/ed]

;)

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  11. loosewire

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    For real your new computer died,care to name it. Poll-how often do your new computer die.

12. tom66

May 9, 2009
    I've had two motherboards brought out of service due to bulging or otherwise faulty electrolytic capacitors. Granted, I've owned more than twenty or thirty motherboards over the years, but it's still quite a lot.

A friend of mine had to repair a HP computer. It wouldn't boot, so he contacted HP, and they told him the motherboard was faulty and needed replacement, due to faulty capacitors. The computer was barely used, and about two years old.