So you want a Job?

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Stromy...you hunt?

I do and enjoy it very much.

Nothing better in the world than a good Venison Steak cooked on the grill...topped with mushrooms and drizzled with Black Truffle Oil.

I pick wild mushrooms when available and was taught what is good or poisonous by my Grandfather. I have seen people trying to use a book to know what thay can or cannot pick.

You really need to know this by being taught by an expert. Some very deadly mushrooms look alot like edible ones...but if you do know what to pick...they just can't be beat for taste.

Split Infinity
I don't hunt personally, though for a while I considered taking it up. Bow hunting, mainly. But that was way back when I was a kid. I was pretty squeamish when it came to blood and guts, so I never got into it. I do a lot of fishing though. Didn't have a problem with fish guts. Weird, huh?

Been several years since I went fishing last. Had to have been at least 5 years. I really miss it :(

I was taught from a very young age to just not pick my own mushrooms. That was under the assumption that I wouldn't do research on what's safe and what's not. I never did though. I'm a fan of raw mushrooms at times. I can only stand them cooked on pizza (they're FANTASTIC on pizza :D). A few times I came across mushrooms in my yard. Several different types. There were wide-topped brown-tan ones low to the ground, there were short white ones with round tops, there were tiny white ones at the base of trees, there were the type that when you stepped on them they would just "poof" (Those ones gave me endless entertainment as a young child. I remember that vividly).

I think my favorite plant was the "touch-me-nots", with the bright orange flowers. If you touched one of the seed pods when they were plump in the fall, they would literally explode. Once again, I got endless entertainment from those :D

What job are you looking to land?

Maybe I can help?

Split Infinity
I'm looking for (ideally) a PCB design/manufacturing/repair company, but at this point I'm even open to IT, other hardware manufacturing, software engineer, programmer, technician, R&D--just about anything electronics or computer related. And something that pays reasonably. That's why I'm leaving my job at the university--it's not paying the bills. What's holding me back right now is the fact that I need to move back into my place in Vermont, and I need a job nearby. You saw the pictures though, I pretty much live in the middle of nowhere and there aren't any real companies within 100 miles. I've found a few prospects, but none of them are all that promising....

SplitInfinity

Joined Mar 3, 2013
That's Vermont for ya. Love it. Wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

Too bad I'm stuck in the city for my job :mad:

Exactly why I'm looking for a new one..... :cool:
I am in Vermont often and as I live in Western Mass. it is by and by the same geography.

I have an associate that lives in Brattleboro and he is in Music as I am. When we go out the next morning we go to this breakfast spot that is on the second floor of a building downtown.

They keep changing the name but I believe the same people own it. Since this town is very Earthy Crunchy...when I ordered Home Fries the first time I was there I got them covered with melted Cheddar Cheese and topped with Alphalfa sprouts served in a hand made ceramic bowl that had all sorts of anti-establishment sayings all over it. LOL!

Split Infinity

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I am in Vermont often and as I live in Western Mass. it is by and by the same geography.

I have an associate that lives in Brattleboro and he is in Music as I am. When we go out the next morning we go to this breakfast spot that is on the second floor of a building downtown.

They keep changing the name but I believe the same people own it. Since this town is very Earthy Crunchy...when I ordered Home Fries the first time I was there I got them covered with melted Cheddar Cheese and topped with Alphalfa sprouts served in a hand made ceramic bowl that had all sorts of anti-establishment sayings all over it. LOL!

Split Infinity
I don't get down to Brattleboro very often. I'm from a small town called Thetford, about 10 miles north of White River Junction. I grew up there, and moved back after school. I love it there. Right now I'm in Boston though, working as a lab technician at one of the Colleges of the Fenway. I'll leave it up to you to figure out which one :D

I've been in western Mass once or twice. While it's much less "developed" than the rest of Mass, nothing beats my hometown. Quietest place you'll ever visit. Beautiful in the mid-spring and early-fall.

SplitInfinity

Joined Mar 3, 2013
I don't hunt personally, though for a while I considered taking it up. Bow hunting, mainly. But that was way back when I was a kid. I was pretty squeamish when it came to blood and guts, so I never got into it. I do a lot of fishing though. Didn't have a problem with fish guts. Weird, huh?

Been several years since I went fishing last. Had to have been at least 5 years. I really miss it :(

I was taught from a very young age to just not pick my own mushrooms. That was under the assumption that I wouldn't do research on what's safe and what's not. I never did though. I'm a fan of raw mushrooms at times. I can only stand them cooked on pizza (they're FANTASTIC on pizza :D). A few times I came across mushrooms in my yard. Several different types. There were wide-topped brown-tan ones low to the ground, there were short white ones with round tops, there were tiny white ones at the base of trees, there were the type that when you stepped on them they would just "poof" (Those ones gave me endless entertainment as a young child. I remember that vividly).

I think my favorite plant was the "touch-me-nots", with the bright orange flowers. If you touched one of the seed pods when they were plump in the fall, they would literally explode. Once again, I got endless entertainment from those :D

I'm looking for (ideally) a PCB design/manufacturing/repair company, but at this point I'm even open to IT, other hardware manufacturing, software engineer, programmer, technician, R&D--just about anything electronics or computer related. And something that pays reasonably. That's why I'm leaving my job at the university--it's not paying the bills. What's holding me back right now is the fact that I need to move back into my place in Vermont, and I need a job nearby. You saw the pictures though, I pretty much live in the middle of nowhere and there aren't any real companies within 100 miles. I've found a few prospects, but none of them are all that promising....
I know what you mean about the Puff Balls! You step on them and they explode. Now don't take my word for this next statement...but I am fairly certain those ARE edible...but until I check...PLEASE! NO ONE HERE SHOULD ATTEMPT TO EAT ONE!

Dying from eating a Poison Mushroom is a PAINFUL and horrible way to die.

I still hunt both with Bow, Shotgun, Rifle and I have even hunted using a Flintloch. You can't use a rifle in Mass. to hunt deer due to Population Density so Shotguns must be used or bow. The deer population in Mass. is OUT OF CONTROL and they are everywhere.

I have an in with JDS Uniphase...a very good in. Is this a company you would be interested in working for?

Split Infinity

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I know what you mean about the Puff Balls! You step on them and they explode. Now don't take my word for this next statement...but I am fairly certain those ARE edible...but until I check...PLEASE! NO ONE HERE SHOULD ATTEMPT TO EAT ONE!

Dying from eating a Poison Mushroom is a PAINFUL and horrible way to die.

I still hunt both with Bow, Shotgun, Rifle and I have even hunted using a Flintloch. You can't use a rifle in Mass. to hunt deer due to Population Density so Shotguns must be used or bow. The deer population in Mass. is OUT OF CONTROL and they are everywhere.

I have an in with JDS Uniphase...a very good in. Is this a company you would be interested in working for?

Split Infinity
I think I looked those mushrooms up once and it said even the dust when they "poof" is toxic, so I would assume they're not edible. Maybe they're one of those things you can eat if you cook it just right, like eels or pufferfish.

Never heard of JDS Uniphase. Does it have a branch in the WRJ VT area?

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
... some puffballs are edible, but when in doubt, do not eat a mushroom. There are puffballs that are poisonous and other mushrooms that looks like puffballs at some stages but are not and are poisonous. Mushrooms are interesting. My grandparents new a lot about mushrooms, but I have no clue... Could make a lot of money from them too (I do not mean my grandparents).

SplitInfinity

Joined Mar 3, 2013
I don't get down to Brattleboro very often. I'm from a small town called Thetford, about 10 miles north of White River Junction. I grew up there, and moved back after school. I love it there. Right now I'm in Boston though, working as a lab technician at one of the Colleges of the Fenway. I'll leave it up to you to figure out which one :D

I've been in western Mass once or twice. While it's much less "developed" than the rest of Mass, nothing beats my hometown. Quietest place you'll ever visit. Beautiful in the mid-spring and early-fall.
Thetford...Rt. 113 and 132?

I know what you mean about not wanting to live in a city. I am the same way. I like the forest and open spaces.

Split Infinity

SplitInfinity

Joined Mar 3, 2013
I think I looked those mushrooms up once and it said even the dust when they "poof" is toxic, so I would assume they're not edible. Maybe they're one of those things you can eat if you cook it just right, like eels or pufferfish.

Never heard of JDS Uniphase. Does it have a branch in the WRJ VT area?
As far as the Puff Balls...I think that is it.

Do yourself a favor and Google...JDS Uniphase.

They are huge and are a publically traded stock.

Split Infinity

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
So what about the bar on Ft.Laud. beach, Spl-inf you have been here.

@ Derstom ,the game wardens seem to tough on the population.

@ Mark77 ,if you feel up to it ....bring the Elbo Room link over here

for SpliitInfiity.

Last edited:

SplitInfinity

Joined Mar 3, 2013
... some puffballs are edible, but when in doubt, do not eat a mushroom. There are puffballs that are poisonous and other mushrooms that looks like puffballs at some stages but are not and are poisonous. Mushrooms are interesting. My grandparents new a lot about mushrooms, but I have no clue... Could make a lot of money from them too (I do not mean my grandparents).
The key in picking mushrooms after knowing what the hell you are picking...is to get them right after a rain before the bugs get to them.

Drying them is an art unto itself but if you are good at it you can preserve a great amount of mushrooms.

Split Infinity

SplitInfinity

Joined Mar 3, 2013
So what about the bar on Ft.Laud. beach, Spl-inf you have been here.

@ Derstom ,the game wardens seem to tough on the population.

@ Mark77 ,if you feel up to it ....bring the Elbo Room link over here

for SpliitInfiity.
I fly out to see sports games when I can as I am a Patriots, Red Sox, Bruins and Celtics fan.

In 2002 I believe...I flew down to Florida and stayed at a friends house for a little more than a week. At the time the Red Sox were playing the Yankees in the ACLS...the series they lost when Grady Little kept Pedro in the game too long as the Sox lost...and I watched that last game at the Clevelander Hotel in Maiami Beach.

I went down with a lovely lady and we had good seats to see the Patriots play the Dolphins. The Florida Marlins were in the Wold Series and the field still had the baseball infield sand. Orlindo Mare kept missing field goals...three I believe of which two would have won the game for the Dolphins. Tom Brady threw a 98 yard pass play to Troy Brown in overtime to win the game.

At the Clevelander Hotel previous to this game I met Ricky Williams who was guest DJing at pool side and SMOKING right in front of everyone. It was NOT Marlboros! LOL! I spent so time with him and he told me JR Seau was supposed to be there but I did not see him.

A few days after the Pats game I was on the beach at Ft. Lauderdale and went to a bar called Beach Bums right on the beach. I met JR Seau as he knew me but I had never met him. He asked to borrow my Catsup which was on our outside table.

We all ended up going out later and eventually ended up back at Beach Bums which really ROCKS at night.

Split INfinity

SplitInfinity

Joined Mar 3, 2013
One other thing as far as getting a job and choosing a career.

When you first attempt to get a job and if you happen to be a smart cookie...understand that unless you were born into a family that owned companies and as I did...you had real business experience at a young age to rely upon...in the business world...INTELLIGENCE will take a back seat to EXPERIENCE.

I was brought in to an interview of a young fresh out of Harvard Business School potential employee and this kid was SMART...VERY SMART...but so am I.

He still works for us as I made sure to hire him but I had to give him a Reality Shock as well as make him learn and understand Humility. He was very much qualified for the position and although he did not have a Medical Degree that many of our employees have in our company specific to Health Care...for what he was to do...he did not need one.

I could tell that EVERYONE in this kids life had fawned over him and he was used to it. He was also used to being the smartest one in the room and this showed along with a certain arrogance and if not for the fact that I could tell he was basically a good and caring kid...I would have showed him the door.

I asked to be alone with him and unlike most prospective employees...he showed no signs of being nervous....UNTIL...I asked him a very simple question that anyone of lessor intelligence would not find as a question that would be difficult in any way to answer.

I asked him...How are you feeling right now? He looked at me and said...I don't understand...do you mean how do I feel about getting the job? I said...No...How do you feel? He looked at me again confused and asked...Do you mean do I feel I am capable to do the job?

I paused...then said...It is a simple question. A simple answer is all that is needed. THEN...he started to panic. I could see him turning pale and beginning to squirm in the leather seat which made a squeeking noise which made him both embarrased and even more paniced. He asked me...Is this a psychological question? I mean...then he began to stutter...I..I..mean...are you trying to see if I am mentally capable of performing the job...or..what...I..a. Now he really was allowing his fears to get to him as in his mind...the question just HAD to be a trick. It MUST have some alternate meaning than the obvious.

I have known people like him before in that even though they have a very high Intelligence Level specific to Analytical Skills...when faced with a question that is directed to a personal emotional and physical state as in this case...I was just asking...How do you feel? An answer of Good, Excited, Anxious, Hungry...etc...would suffice. But since he was OVERTHINKING IT...I KNEW that although the kid was smart he lacked in basic Social and Emotional Intelligence.

This 30 minute ago Intelligent, Well Spoken, Confident Kid was now very close to TEARS and finally I let him off the hook and said...It's OK...I am giving you the job. He breathed out the biggest breath which he must have been holding in for over a minute and wiped his forehead of sweat.

I said to him...Look...your smart...alot smarter than most people. But you don't work in a vacuum. You have to work and interact with others and understand...there are people working here that are not even HALF as smart as you but THEY HAVE EXPERIENCE. They know what to do and how to do it as well as how to talk and handle people in order to get things done and solve problems. Working with other people or working with customers and vendors cannot be broken down like a Math Problem where you can calculate the answer and proof check that answer. Dealing with people is an art that is much harder than the most complex equasion that needs solving and you only get ONE SHOT so you must provide answers and solutions that are designed to be open ended so that if you are wrong you can leave yourself open to have another chance to fix things. I then asked him...Did it ever occur to you to answer my question with...FINE? He looked at me and said...I really thought that you were asking me something else. I was afraid that if I said something like good or fine...you would think I was an idiot. I told him...THIS IS YOUR FIRST LESSON. Answer obvious questions with the obvious answers...if a person wasn't looking for that answer...ASK WHAT THEY ARE LOOKING FOR. The absolutely WORSE THING YOU CAN DO is to be so confident in your ability to think you know what everyone wants or is asking that you refuse to ASK QUESTIONS and simply tell them...I DON'T KNOW...or COULD YOU EXPLAIN THAT FOR ME...then you will find yourself out of a job!

I went on to tell him that it's OK for an employee to make a mistake as long as that mistake did not occur just because they REFUSED to ask another employee to tell them what to do or the right way to do it...I told him...I don't care if you have to ask the Janitor if he is the only one around. BEING INTELLIGENT does not mean one is EXPERIENCED and a person that thinks they are so smart that another person couldn't possibly have an answer or anything to offer is not someone we want working here.

This kid...no longer a kid as he is married and liked by just about everyone as I never hear anyone say a bad thing about him...told me 2 Christmas Parties ago that he was trying very hard to get the concept I informed him of years ago across to his Father...who also was a Harvard Grad and is one snooty SOB. He said it is taking a long time...but his Dad has stopped going on the Internet and looking up terms associated with Gardening everytime he hears something from the guy that does his yard as he would ABSOLUTELY REFUSE to ask a man with dirt and grass stains on his cloths a question about something he did not know...now he just asks.

Split Infinity

Metalmann

Joined Dec 8, 2012
The key in picking mushrooms after knowing what the hell you are picking...is to get them right after a rain before the bugs get to them.

Drying them is an art unto itself but if you are good at it you can preserve a great amount of mushrooms.

Split Infinity

I freeze around 30-40 lbs of wild 'rooms every year. They are usually gone within that year!:cool:

SplitInfinity

Joined Mar 3, 2013
You filthy Americans, stop posting pictures of vast plains covered with grass!
I have to drive 30mins just to fly my RC airplane over 10 hectars for concrete! Argh!
Vast?

The pictures he showed you...and I live fairly close...are areas the size of many peoples back yards! LOL!

If you want to see vast plains...we have areas in North America with plains filled with corn and other crops about 2/3rds the size of Europe.

You can fly in a plane for HOURS and not 2 or 3...but more like 5 in a 737 between 500 and 550 miles per hour and all you will see is forests.

The U.S. state of Maine...which is right above Vermont so basically a stones throw for us to get to...is 35,385 sqare miles of all Forest.

Funny thing is...it is only the 39 largest U.S. State.

Split Infinity

SplitInfinity

Joined Mar 3, 2013
I will say this about living where Stromy and I do...it is very beautiful. In the fall the huge number of Maple..and where we live there are all types of maple including Sugar Maple of which I have two in my back yard as you can hammer a TAP INTO THESE TREES and doing this in the very late winter month or early spring...will allow you to get the sap which when boiled down becomes the absolute tastiest Maple Syrup on Earth, Beech, Sumac, Oak, Birch, Elm, Poplar, Tulip...so many types it would take the whole page...in the Fall our area is known for the vast variety of brilliant colors the leaves will turn.

In fact this is Big Business as people will come from all over including overseas to see the leaves change. As well New England is home to a very large population of wildlife and we are now getting the return of Mountain Lions. We have in great numbers...Black Bear, Deer, Moose, Beaver, Wild Turkey, Pheasent, Duck and Geese, Grouse, Bald Eagles, Hawks of all kinds, Falcons, Cranes, Colorful Songbirds of endless types, Racoon, Wolverine, Bearcats, Possum, Groundhogs, a wide variety of Squirls and Chipmunks, Turkey Vultures, all kinds of fish especially Bass and Trout, many Snakes including Timber Rattlesnakes and Copperheads, various Amphibians and Salamanders and we even have Big Foot sightings! LOL!

Really...the list goes on and on and the large Birds of Prey started coming back strong after DDT a chemical poison for crops was banned decades ago.

One of the best things in the world to do up hear is get on a Snowmobile with a Girl and a bottle of Brandy...sled up a mountain...start a camp fire...bring a small stream ultralite Fishing Pole and catch a few Brook Trout. Clean and Gut the fish and put them on a stick that you stick in the snow and angle the fish over the fire.

I bring some cut up veggies coated in Olive Oil and wrapped in foil which is thrown on the hot coals. Then after dinner and a few drinks...well...you know.

Split Infinity

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Thetford...Rt. 113 and 132?

I know what you mean about not wanting to live in a city. I am the same way. I like the forest and open spaces.

Split Infinity
Yup, that's the place! Population: 2000. Population density: about 5 people per square mile :D (Just kidding, there are actually about 50 people per square mile :p)

Absolutely love it.

As far as the Puff Balls...I think that is it.

Do yourself a favor and Google...JDS Uniphase.

They are huge and are a publically traded stock.

Split Infinity
I looked them up but couldn't find much information on their locations. I didn't look for very long though since I had some things I had to do, so I'll take another look at it later.

You filthy Americans, stop posting pictures of vast plains covered with grass!
I have to drive 30mins just to fly my RC airplane over 10 hectars for concrete! Argh!
Geo, you're welcome to come over to Vermont any time! :D

I will say this about living where Stromy and I do...it is very beautiful. In the fall the huge number of Maple..and where we live there are all types of maple including Sugar Maple of which I have two in my back yard as you can hammer a TAP INTO THESE TREES and doing this in the very late winter month or early spring...will allow you to get the sap which when boiled down becomes the absolute tastiest Maple Syrup on Earth, Beech, Sumac, Oak, Birch, Elm, Poplar, Tulip...so many types it would take the whole page...in the Fall our area is known for the vast variety of brilliant colors the leaves will turn.

In fact this is Big Business as people will come from all over including overseas to see the leaves change. As well New England is home to a very large population of wildlife and we are now getting the return of Mountain Lions. We have in great numbers...Black Bear, Deer, Moose, Beaver, Wild Turkey, Pheasent, Duck and Geese, Grouse, Bald Eagles, Hawks of all kinds, Falcons, Cranes, Colorful Songbirds of endless types, Racoon, Wolverine, Bearcats, Possum, Groundhogs, a wide variety of Squirls and Chipmunks, Turkey Vultures, all kinds of fish especially Bass and Trout, many Snakes including Timber Rattlesnakes and Copperheads, various Amphibians and Salamanders and we even have Big Foot sightings! LOL!

Really...the list goes on and on and the large Birds of Prey started coming back strong after DDT a chemical poison for crops was banned decades ago.

One of the best things in the world to do up hear is get on a Snowmobile with a Girl and a bottle of Brandy...sled up a mountain...start a camp fire...bring a small stream ultralite Fishing Pole and catch a few Brook Trout. Clean and Gut the fish and put them on a stick that you stick in the snow and angle the fish over the fire.

I bring some cut up veggies coated in Olive Oil and wrapped in foil which is thrown on the hot coals. Then after dinner and a few drinks...well...you know.

Split Infinity
All of this is true. Lots of plants and wildlife, very peaceful. Easily the nicest place I've ever been. Great views, fresh air, fresh water. When was the last time you were able to drink from a running fresh water stream? Got lots of those here, I've done it many times. Usually on my hikes or biking trips. If you have never been to Vermont, I HIGHLY recommend trying to make the trip sometime during your life. It's like a Mecca for people who love nature and peace and quiet.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
@ Derstom,infin..needs to do shorter post....I forgot you are in Vermont...sorta

like Maine right. Why no T.V. shows on Vermont.....you have the tough game

wardens also....how does it compare.