So you want a Job?

SplitInfinity

Joined Mar 3, 2013
I am putting out this bit of advice for any here who are trying to get a job and are either finding getting one difficult or having problems trying to find the right way to talk or act during a Job Interview.

My credentials to give advice are vast as I help run several large Family Owned Companies. I own several successful businesses of my own. I have personally written the Company Guidlines for several HR Directors and Hiring Managment as to how to perform an interview as well as what we are looking for or not looking for in an employee.

I also hold multiple degrees of which several that are specific to business and finance. I became a Multimillionaire in my 20's and am active and instrumental in our Companies yearly Directional Initiative...I refuse to call it Mission Statement...as well as deal with issues specific to various Political, Governmental, Legal, Commercial and other needed partnerships and relationships essential for the growth of our Companies.

Now that I said that...for those of you just getting out of school or already out and needing a job in this very tough competitive market...I will tell you how to stand out from the rest.
Continued...
Split Infinity

SplitInfinity

Joined Mar 3, 2013
Let's first talk about your resume. The people tasked with reading resumes see hundreds and it is important your stands out. Making your stand out is a sensitive balancing act of showing off your qualifications, designing it in a fashion that is both to the point and does not make the reader pissed off that they are reading a bunch of unneccessary crap info which might make them throw it on the Crap Pile...and making yourself look like a person that the company NEEDS without comming off too strong which can have the effect of actually making the reader jelous of the writer.

Sometimes a very intelligent person can act in a very stupid way by allowing their EGO to dictate what they write which can make the reader think the writer is full of themselves and a person no one in the company will work with. Acting like this is OK if you already HAVE A JOB and are recieving an offer from another company if you are not under contract...but until you obtain such a position...you must keep your ego in check as you NEED THIS JOB.

What is IMPORTANT to have in a resume is an opening statement which being the first thing read...will define you and determine if the person reading and hiring will continue to read and possible schedual a meet and great.

I find the following something I believe must be written in the opening statement.....
After listing your name, address, phone, age...IF YOUNG...and Degree..es...state what YOU expect out of this job or position and the manner you will go about doing it.

This must be short but exact and you should add if you are out of school...It is important to let my possible boss or bosses know that I consider being hired for this position as a contract of trust between myself and the company, management and ownership...use Board of Directors and Stock Holders if your position is high enough.

I consider my hiring as an act of trust by those kind enough to hire me and I can do no less than honor that given act of trust than perform my duties to the highest level I am capable of as I consider my hiring and work performance as a bond between myself and the company.

As I will honor this bond with hard work I will inform those tasked with hiring me that it is my intention to learn as much as I can while performing my job and that given I would consider my hiring as the beginning of a career and not just a means to a paycheck, I would ask the person or persons tasked with my hiring to disclude my application if this position is by design or company policy specific to a static advancement enviroment.

I hope these stated goals and my detailed work ethic are something that would be of value and desired by your company and also hope a bonded trust between myself and the company can be formed to benefit all.

Now anyone here can tweek it to their own purposes but my words are what a person hiring wants to read. You are telling the person hiring that once hired the position given to you is more than just a job...and even more than a career...it is a Bonded Trust between you and the company. Adding that you want your name taken out of consideration if there is no possibility of advancement tells them that you WILL NOT take any job if offered and you are looking for a job that fills both the companies needs and yours....continued
Split Infinity

SplitInfinity

Joined Mar 3, 2013
Now after that short beginning...the rest of your resume should be to the point and not be stuffed with unimportant or unneccesary information. To do this gives the person hiring that YOU feel that your qualifications are not enough and you are purposely bulking it up to cover what would be little experience.

What you can put in is any previous job experience specific to the position your going after or any job you performed that would define your character or ability.

Split Infinity...continued

SplitInfinity

Joined Mar 3, 2013
Every company that hires lists within their "Things that we like in a possible Employee" directive sent to Hiring or HR. These are a few things that should be added in the Interests, Member of, Charity Activities and Hobbies...area of your resume.

A company looks at a resume and wants to see if a possible employee has Hobbies, Interests...is a Member of a Club or Group, works for a Charity in their spare time...etc.

The reason they like and look for this is they feel if you are doing these things in your free time...it will allow you little time to go PARTYING and thus be late for work and all the other things associated with partying. Listing these things is a MUST.

If you were a member of any group in College...LIST IT...as you never know if the person hiring you is a member of Gamma, Delta, Drinka...and thus might hire you on sight! DO NOT list things like...I am a member of the New England Patriots Cheerleaders Fan Club...or any other sports based club UNLESS YOU ARE A MEMBER OF AN EXPENSIVE AND EXCLUSIVE GOLF CLUB OR COURSE. 75% of ALL business deals are done on a Golf Course.

Split Infinity

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
We don't need jobs and money ,you have never heard a Forum member talk money.

Our wealth of information is why we have over 200,000 members ,only real men tell

how great they are......Loosewire is that great man.

SplitInfinity

Joined Mar 3, 2013
Do yourself a favor and do not use a Resume Format that is supplied by some internet site as these guy's see hundreds if not thousands of resumes and they KNOW which ones have used such a format.

Plus if they determine this...this shows them that you had to use the internet to type out something as simple as a discription of your qualifications. They seeing this they wonder...if they needed help doing that...how will they perform if their job needs them to solve problems or other issues on demand?

Adding to this...RULE NUMBER 1...FORGET AND DISCARD ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING YOU EVER LEARNED IN SCHOOL ABOUT WHAT AND HOW TO WRITE YOUR RESUME.

The people teaching such things ARE NOT in the Business World and the old saying goes...If you are GOOD at something...YOU DO IT AND GET PAID...if you are not good at it....YOU TEACH IT.

Split Infinity

SplitInfinity

Joined Mar 3, 2013
We don't need jobs and money ,you have never heard a Forum member talk money.

Our wealth of information is why we have over 200,000 members ,only real men tell

how great they are......Loosewire is that great man.
EVERYONE says at one time they don't need a job or money....UNTIL THEY NEED A JOB AND MONEY.

Money is not everything but if you don't have any...it sucks.

Split Infinity

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
When you apply to Mc Donalds they send you somewhere anally really.
As part of your job safety, they need a lab test for your feces.

So Granny knowledge from Yahoo is recycled into a forum post. Interesting.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Loosewire has his picture posted for all to see ,the picture speaks for its self.

A good free diver in the rough Atlantic Ocean ,the best one man picture posted

on the Internet forever.

SplitInfinity

Joined Mar 3, 2013
Now...if you use what I have outlined and you have the qualification for this job...you will most likely get called down for an interview.

This part is IMPORTANT. When you are talking to a person who calls you...sometimes that person is just a secretary...other times it maybe the person charged with hiring an employee...FIND OUT WHO YOU ARE TALKING TO AND WHAT THEIR JOB IS AHEAD OF TIME. You can do this by asking or a better way is to go the the companies website that details comany personel as well as their position and job and download it.

This way you can ask who you are talking to and look on a list and KNOW who it is and what their job is. For you to tell a person on the phone after they give their name...Ah...yes...you are....insert company name...Director of Hiring and Personel or...You are so and so's HR Director...etc.

To be able to do this will IMPRESS THE HELL OUT OF THEM as it shows you did research and are serious about getting this job. If it just a secretary...be careful...AND POLITE as many uper managment types delegate things like this to their personal secretaries who they could be screwing...or rely heavy upon and that secretaries impression of you might be the difference between getting an appointment after 2pm...which is prime time as before 12 a person hiring you might be hungry or hungover and an appointment after 3pm means they will be getting the mid-day sleepies or getting anxious and impatient to go home...or the secretary may not choose to have you come in at all.

My suggestion is if it is a secretay then allow him or her to present a time for you to come down. Then if the time is too early or too late...ASK POLITELY in this manner...Thank you for calling me. I am excited that I am being considered by your comany for employment but if it is not too much trouble...could I ask you if there might be another time available as I have another interview schedualled near the time you have given me to be interviewed and as I would never want to waste anyones time by possibly being late to an interview...is it possible to come in at 2 pm?

Now at this point the secretary will be thinking 3 things. ONE...they will be abit miffed that they have to work harder to schedual an interview. TWO...since they have heard a thousand people PRETEND to have all sorts of Companies making them offers...the secretary will quickly in their mind analyse what you said and realize by the key words...NEAR THE TIME YOU HAVE GIVEN ME...IF IT IS NOT TOO MUCH TROUBLE...NEVER WANT TO WASTE ANYONES TIME...that not only are you polite...but you are concerned about her time as well as anyone elses time being wasted. This is a bit of deception but the time of your interview is IMPARITIVE as if a person hiring does 10 interviews before lunch while they are hungry and half asleep...when they get back from lunchthey need an hour just to digest as they will feel bloated and uncomfortable...and by 3 pm they will be sleepy and ready to go home. Plus...NO ONE EVER GETS HIRED BEING ONE OF THE FIRST 12 PEOPLE GETTING INTERVIEWED WHO ALL HAVE CLOSE TO THE SAME QUALIFICATIONS IF THERE ARE ANOTHER 8 OR MORE TO GO.

Split Infinity...continued

SplitInfinity

Joined Mar 3, 2013
If the secretary cannot give you a different time then you will have to decide if you want to schedual an interview for a different day or take your chances on the time given.

If you are talking with the person who is hiring...TAKE THE TIME GIVEN...but...tell them you are excited that they called you and if they could give you just a moment to check your itinerary to make certain this appointment time does not overlap any other RESPONSIBILITY...and use that word...you might have.

Doing this will show you are organized as well as have ethical standards.

Split Infinity