So what what you have done?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by spinnaker, Dec 1, 2012.

1. spinnaker

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009
    So I am at a local semi fast food restaurant. It was very busy, a table opened up and I placed my jacket on the chair to hold the table. I turned around to pay for my food but when I went back to my table there was a young man and young woman at my table.

I said excuse me but this is my table. The young man sat there like a little mouse but the young said "we are sitting here now".

I went round and round with her a couple of times. But I did not want to make a scene. So I called them a derogatory name and left.

Now I know possession is 9/10ths of the law but what pissed me off more than anything was her attitude. If I had a soda in my hand at the time I think I would have dumped it on her head saying it was an "accident". I actually consider going back after I got my soda and doing just that but I got a table and figured it was not worth the bother.

Now I regret not going back and dumping that soda drink. It would have made a sticky mess. Maybe not on her head, that might be assualt on the table then spilling on to her lap would be OK.

I wasn't too worried about the guy, if he decided to take a swing at me, I was a lot bigger and probably could have laid him flat.

So what would you have done?

2. tshuck

Oct 18, 2012
    Wow! The gall of some people!

I would have pulled up a chair and talked about really inappropriate things... This worked back in highschool when other people tried sitting at "our" table.... kinda petty now that I think about it... the highschool era, not this instance....

3. spinnaker

Oct 29, 2009
    My coworker mentioned something similar. He said you should have just pulled up a chair and joined them.

So would you have dumped your soda drink on her?

4. justtrying

Mar 9, 2011
    That's what I would have done. Only I would have been really polite at first and just talked about random nonsense. Or maybe took advantage of my native language.

5. THE_RB

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 11, 2008
    You need to get better at evaluating the power everyone has if you want to do well in a tactical situation.

They had the power to sit there, enitrely at their choice. Your jacket had zero power to stop them sitting there if they chose to do so. The only power you had was to complain about their actions later or try to make them move by begging or force. Begging gives you little power, force gives some power but it incurs it's own costs.

Basically you were beaten at the start, they always had the upper hand. :)

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  6. spinnaker

Oct 29, 2009
    Oh yes I realize that. I mention the fact of procession.

But it was their attitude that disturbed me.

No matter how crowded it was in the restaurant or how badly I needed the table, I would have never done what they did.

7. THE_RB

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 11, 2008
    I agree, and their action was antisocial, rude and unfriendly. Some people are jerks, fortunately they are not the majority but you sure remember that minority when you come across them. :)

Maybe the best thing to do is just brush it off and smile, and remember it was a rare occurence and expect that someone much nastier than you will one day put them in their place for similar behaviour.

8. spinnaker

Oct 29, 2009
    Thanks, if you get a chance can you check out the embedded forum? I have a question out there on seven segment decoders.

9. praondevou

AAC Fanatic!

Jul 9, 2011
    Sometimes I come in to a semi fast food restaurant and there are plenty of empty tables. All with jackets and/or purses or cellphones on them. :rolleyes:

10. atferrari

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 6, 2004
    Dumping soda on anyone, couldn't be deemed as an agression (which actually is)?

I do not know what is common use over there but, around here, albeit it is known that you should not "reserve" a table in advance, lot of people does it.

Sorry Sp but I am adding kind of a question not an opinion.

I do not know what I would do. I recognize I tend to be very rude if I decide to claim for something. Maybe because I tend to be very patient thus beyond a certain point I loose control.

One of my daughters, does complain a lot mostly as a consumer so she knows how to conduct the claims in calm and, say, effciently. A real advantage in life.

The worst of it: after, I feel certainly bad (and ashamed).

11. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    I had something similar happen with an elderly couple. I figured the old lady was pretty disabled, and found another table.

12. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    I believe two wrongs don't make a right.
    I believe in being civil always.
    I better response would be being polite,
    politely asking if you could join them.

13. spinnaker

Oct 29, 2009

I would have no problem with that at all. In fact I am the one that usually offers my place to someone older. I am always the first to offer my seat on the bus to an elderly person or a woman with small children.

Once I noticed a woman getting on the bus with a baby. I was sitting near the door. I got up to give her my seat when a young man of an age that could have easily been my son sat in my seat.

I looked right at him and said. "Get your ass off that seat. I didn't get up to give it to you". I then offered the seat to the woman with the baby.

While standing, often I have to tell young men to get up from their seat to offer it to an elderly person, disabled person or someone with a baby.

14. spinnaker

Oct 29, 2009
    An extremely good attitude but then again it is hard to allow people to step all over you.

No way would I have ever asked to join them, They were jerks or at least the young lady was. The young man had no spine, his female companion owned a bigger pair than he had.

15. loosewire

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    @ Spinnaker, what is your heigh and weight, from

Your post, this. Comes as a surprise.

16. spinnaker

Oct 29, 2009
    I'm not sure you are qualified to comment on the quality of posts there loosewire. :rolleyes:

17. loosewire

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    Why not....

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
    Sparky49 likes this.
  18. Sparky49

Jul 16, 2011
    Just gotta love that random n.

:D

19. loosewire

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    Sparky, a. Misprint...why not....SPARKY-DELETED THE MISPRINT

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  20. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    I probably would have gotten all worked up about it and then done nothing. I would have just left, furious about the fact that it happened, and further furious about that fact that I did nothing about it. I probably would go home and sit there stewing in it for a while and then go online to my favorite forum and share the experience.