So what was it and why was it there?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I noticed a large panel truck parked just across the river from the city. If anyone id familiar with Pittsburgh, it was parked directly across the river and across West Carson Street, in the empty lot next to the Duquesne Incline.

The truck was sitting there maybe a month. It had two masts sticking out of the roof . One mast with a canonical shaped antenna and the the mast with a square shaped antenna.

Once I noticed an SUV parked next to the truck and it looked like a wiring harness extending from the truck to the SUV.

I am thinking it was some kind of mind reading device because after the last time I passed I thought I should snap a picture of it and post it here but now the truck is gone! :eek:

Was someone reading our minds here in Pittsburgh? :) Or were they up to something else? If so what could it have been?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Police or government surveillance would be my guess. Much as I hate the title, the War on Terror is real. There are real bad guys here and there.

Reason I hate the title is the way it is phrased, it is a war that can not ever end.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Police or government surveillance would be my guess. Much as I hate the title, the War on Terror is real. There are real bad guys here and there.

Reason I hate the title is the way it is phrased, it is a war that can not ever end.
Where they recording something?

Was the SUV downloading what was recorded?

Why the two different antennas?

It was in such an odd place. Tucked between two buildings and an very high and very steep hillside. Actually a retainer wall for a rail line then the steep hillside. Strange place, you would think there was a better place to monitor communications.

The van was completely unmarked. Not sure about the SUV, as I just caught a glimpse of it.

count_volta

Joined Feb 4, 2009
Near the Duquesne Incline eh. I drive past there often, and didn't notice, hmmm. It was Mulder and Scully from the X files. The aliens have landed in Pittsburgh.

Nah seriously, there are many movies shot in Pittsburgh you know. Maybe it was part of movie equipment.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
It could have been a mobile cell tower.

Cell companies are using them to boost data in areas for short times.

If there is a movie being filmed close to there, all of the "movie stars" need 4G and drop-less calls, so they usually have a mobile cell tower near site.

They are also used when designing and deciding new tower layout.

..or it could be a mind reading device. ;)

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I noticed a large panel truck parked just across the river from the city. <snip>
Was someone reading our minds here in Pittsburgh? :)
That would not take a very large truck. A Lego people mover would be sufficient. :)

Other possibilities: New England Patriots scouting?

John

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
There has been something about google using driverless cars to photo
the streets in cities. Watch for google to come to your town,
they creating wireless for there new driverless cars to do there
projects which will be the next big announement.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
There has been something about google using driverless cars to photo
the streets in cities. Watch for google to come to your town,
they creating wireless for there new driverless cars to do there
projects which will be the next big announement.
Oh so you have been in the park and collected mushroom again. And nothing wrong with the quality I can see.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Street_View
Edit: Loosewire! would it not be an idea to do some simple realty check, before you write about it. Some of your conspiracy theories are quite on the far side. To put it mildly:rolleyes:

Last edited:

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
I consult my brain before going to wikipedea.
If that a down fall so be it, (Far Side)was great
cartoon,sort of a loosewire. So you might say my
brain sprung Into action with responce.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I finally got a pic of it. After taking this I realized I should have gotten a better shot oaf the antenna. But there was a car in the parking lot and they would have seen me snapping a pic from that angle. I am not sure if it was an attendant for the truck or not, O really did not feel like being confronted. :)

What is strange is it keeps coming back. It will disappear for a few weeks then come back in the same place.

Attachments

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
There is a chance it is doing air sampling.

Knock on the door and ask. If you don't report back, then we will know it's something secret.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Perhaps they want to see the change in air quality.
There can be all kinds of sensors aboard, like CO2, NO2, dust(particle)-concentration etc.

Bertus

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Can you get a zoom/hi res photo of just the two masts? Ditto for just the box on the truck.

What is on the side of the truck where you took the photo from (opposite the hill)? Road, Interstate, Airport, River? How much traffic?

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
We had a similar looking setup here in baltimore. It had a wind speed indicator, a puffer pole and a microphone for measuring noise poloution as well as thermometer and such.

The puffer pole sucked puffs of air for samples every few minutes and measures polloution chemicals.

The are used durind building demolition to check particulate and chemicals added to the air from the implosion. Same types of equipment is used around volcanoes and other venting sources for monitoring.