So Long, Farewell, Alvederzane, Goodbye

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by DerStrom8, Jun 15, 2015.

1. DerStrom8

Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2011
    With the most recent changes to AAC I find myself struggling more and more with the corporation that AAC has become. I have the utmost respect for jrap and the moderation staff, but I can see that because jrap has a vested interest in EETech there is no going back. I cannot stand this new setup. AAC used to be like my second home, it was always straight and to-the-point. Its focus was not to push products or projects, but to help members both teach and learn. Now it's turned to marketing, and while the original forums are still here they are drowned out by the massive collection of garbage and spam. @jrap , what exactly was the point of the change? Did you succeed in your goal? And most important, is it really worth it?

I, for one, don't think so. I have faced significant changes before, most notably over at ETO. I left ETO for a while, between some issues I was having with certain members and with the new layout. But over time things were fixed, certain members were spoken to, and I felt comfortable coming back. I had hoped I'd never need to do that again, but I am at that point again where I am left no choice. When WTWH Media bought ETO it went very smoothly--They did not make any significant changes to the layout, and any marketing was subtle and confined to designated areas of the screen where they would not interfere with normal forum browsing. But now that AAC has this new scheme with marketing at its focus, this is no longer the place it used to be. It's not that I can't adapt to change--I have proven that I can many times--but the focus of AAC has changed, and it's not something I want to be a part of. I understand that some marketing is required to keep this site running. But it most certainly should not be the main focus. So until the garbage can be cut down and the articles (which need to be better-written) are put where they belong rather than plastered all over the home page, and until helping one another becomes the focus again, I must say goodbye. Thank you to everyone who has helped me over the years. I hope that we can speak again sometime in the near future.

RIP AAC.

JohnInTX, KJ6EAD, shortbus and 3 others like this.
  2. OBW0549

Mar 2, 2015
    Gonna really miss you, DerStrom8; I've very much enjoyed reading your commentary here in the three months since I joined.

Even for me, a relatively new member, this place has changed-- and not for the better. As to whether I'll continue here or not (which, if not, would be for the same reasons you outlined above), I'll be assessing that over the coming days and perhaps weeks based mostly on whether our new management responds to our concerns cluefully and effectively.

Farewell and I hope to see you around, if not here then perhaps on ETO or one of the other electronics forums.

3. justtrying

Mar 9, 2011
    These developments are indeed troubling. I also believe strongly that the purpose has been lost. I have a sad feeling that there will be no correction to this...

4. ronv

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 12, 2008
    Why don't you just set your default to the old format and live happily even after?:D

shortbus, #12 and ericgibbs like this.
  5. DerStrom8

Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2011
    I wasn't going to respond to this thread, but I have to say that this goes FAR beyond the new layout. It's the overall atmosphere of the forum. The "I help you, you help me" focus is gone. It's all marketing now.

6. tcmtech

Nov 4, 2013
    You're who again and your opinion should matter to me why? o_O

Just kidding. Don't like seeing you go (again:rolleyes:).

Probably see you over at ETO more often since my participation here is dropping off and over there is picking up again. ;)

7. Kermit2

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 5, 2010
    I bid you a fond farewell sir. You will surely not be the last should things remain as they are.

8. kubeek

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 20, 2005
    Sorry to see you leave this site. I am am also quite a lot displeased about all the changes, but I guess I will still keep the habit of opening the forum and looking at a few topics, but really it makes me wonder where all this is gonna end.
    I try to never visit the homepage since the change, but reading the posts in off-topic tells me I am not missing anything.

#12 likes this.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    That's what I do. Make it blue, use a shortcut straight to the forums, keep helping people one at a time, and mostly miss out on the new and improved parts. :D

KJ6EAD, shortbus, Sinus23 and 4 others like this.
  10. ronv

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 12, 2008
    Yea, I haven't been back to the peachy pages since I first accidentally moussed over the top and gave myself a seizure.:D
    Guess I don't know what I'm missing. :rolleyes:
    If the new one was all I could get I'd be gone too. But hopefully my boring old blue one will remain and be maintained.

cmartinez, shortbus and #12 like this.
  11. Georacer

Nov 25, 2009
    Goodbye Derstrom.
    I hope we'll keep in touch on Skype.

justtrying likes this.
  12. Hypatia's Protege

Distinguished Member

Mar 1, 2015
    I see no changes to that paradigm in the fora?:confused: -- Am I missing something?

Well Hey! Very sorry to see you go!:( --- I would ask you -- and all similarly alienated members -- to please check back from time to time - things may improve!!!:)

Best regards
    HP

13. nerdegutta

Dec 15, 2009
    I NEVER go to the homepage. I got directly to http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com
    That way I miss out on most of the new stuff, and oh yes I have the blue layout....

I will miss your posts!

shortbus and Sinus23 like this.
  14. Alec_t

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 17, 2013
    Your contributions will be missed, DerStrom8.

15. tcmtech

Nov 4, 2013
    We were supposed to be helpful here? o_O

Well I guess I might have to leave now too. :oops:

16. Hypatia's Protege

Distinguished Member

Mar 1, 2015
    Don't even joke about it! --- Too many more resignations and it'll be getting like the 'outback' of Charon 'round here! :(

Best Regards
    HP

17. tcmtech

Nov 4, 2013
    I'm not that edumakachated to knows what that referees too's. :oops:

Just as long as no one expects me to be helpful or politically correct I'm good. ;)

18. Hypatia's Protege

Distinguished Member

Mar 1, 2015
    What? Charon? --- That'd be a satellite of (KBO) Pluto -- which being a mean 4,700,000,000 statute miles (i.e. ~ 7.5TM) distant --- Can we say lonely...?
    FWIW I expect that it is not a lack of education, but, rather, a non trivial mind that 'plagues' you!:D

Best regards
    HP:)

19. Lestraveled

May 19, 2014
    DerStrom8
    Turbulence wears people out. It plays hell with their attitudes. You are not steering the bus. You are not anywhere near the drivers seat. Step out of the way, smile, and wave to the bus as it careens towards the cliff. Turn and walk the other direction. You need a break. Take one, or two. You have earned several. Someday, when you are you, and you are fun again, the forum will be here.

djsfantasi and JohnInTX like this.
  20. JohnInTX

Jun 26, 2012
    That's good advice, Les. I'm holding my breath hoping it happens that way.