So it begins

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by maxpower097, Jan 18, 2011.

1. maxpower097

Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    What do you guys think of this. I know its one thing to pop over to the sheriffs office site to check to see if you have any warrants, but this is a lil much....
    http://www2.tbo.com/content/2011/ja...iders-dui-mug-shots-on-faceboo/news-breaking/
    Sexual predators, yes.. DUI, and other non violent crimes, no. This singles people out to a community thats already formed. If they had a national database I would even be fine with that. But I don't want Officer Barney Fife putting my mugshot on twitter in 2 years.

2. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    He couldn't anyhow. If he did I see some interesting lawsuits. Innocent until proven guilty still applies. It might be legal for a convicted felon however.

3. maxpower097

Feb 20, 2009
    yah, then again a lot of people said that about the crazy, publicity hound, in Maricopa County sheriff who makes the inmates where pink underwear and live in Tents in the desert. Plus he's been known to target celebrities and harass them. He arrested Kurt Bush the racecar driver one night and a year later had to make him an honorary sheriff to cover up his grandstanding. So even being the sheriff has become a political zoo.

4. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    More people are hurt and killed by DUI drivers than by any other class of criminal. Getting drunk and getting on the road is a choice the offender makes. In OH, DUI drivers get special license plates (orange with red letters). I think that is the least the government should do to protect innocent civilians.

John

5. maxpower097

Feb 20, 2009
    Followed by senior citizens having heart attacks, strokes, and loosing consciousness on the road. Should they have red letters too? DUI's suck, but I just don't think posting their info and mug shots on a social network is the right thing to do. There are websites for this. You can goto any sheriffs dept.s website and look at all the people arrested. Plus there are many jails with free webcams. I just see no need to involve a private social network with something that should be handled by the gov.

6. maxpower097

Feb 20, 2009
    What would be cool is to have the license plate display the first 2 digits of how many points the driver has on his license. That would help you avoid the drunks and the idiots.

7. Georacer

Nov 25, 2009
    Big Brother is over 26 years late, but I don't think we 'll wait for much longer. It takes an expert these days to keep personal information away from public eyes. And by personal I mean protected by the constitution.

8. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    Yours or ours?

The American Constitution provides no protection of privacy for personal information.

It only prohibits the Federal government from conducting unreasonable search and seizure. That aspect is incorporated in every state's constitution.

John

9. Georacer

Nov 25, 2009
    No protection over personal information? Really!?

Here personal information and the right to one's privacy as it concerns them is a major issue and ground for public debate every now and again.

Some examples:
    A few years back one's religion was removed from the ID's.
    It is illegal for a company to sell personal information to third party companies for commercial statistics.
    You can't find one's name from his car plates.

However, there are still issues and problems that the Principle for Personal Information Protection fights against. First and foremost, all the security cameras that operate in a grey zone of the law, as they are installed after a law being voted, but violate a constitutional interpretation that says that it is illegal to tape one's face.

10. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    You've been borked! A verb made by reference to Judge Bork's confirmation hearings in 1987. This video from PBS gives a pretty good description of borking, if not slightly slanted to the liberal side.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown...odern-supreme-court-confirmation-process.html

Basically, Judge Bork was set up, and the good Senators (who don't speak under oath) used their bully pulpit to unfairly characterize him. In reality, not a single Senator could point to anything in the Constitution that provided a right to privacy. Bork was right, but lost the war.

Our laws before and subsequently do offer some protection, but from what you say, even those laws are pretty weak compared to Greece's. Some of our attempts in the area of patient confidentiality have had some very strange and unintended consequences.

John

11. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009
    <TheDude>Fascist!</TheDude>

(from Big Lebowski, when he's pulled over in Huntington Beach).

12. gerty

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 30, 2007
    I seem to remember several years ago there was a city (possibly Denver?) that would post pictures in the newspaper of those convicted of soliciting prostitutes. I'm sure that had to have a ripple effect on the community.

13. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
  14. Georacer

Nov 25, 2009
    Great... Now we are all going to be part of a reality show, whether we want it or not.
    I hate it when I think that probably more than one corporation or agency has a file on me. I hate it even more that now they are gaining legal ground to publish it.

15. gerty

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 30, 2007
    That's it! I recognized the name as soon as i saw it, I don't know why I thought it was in the newspaper?

16. maxpower097

Feb 20, 2009
    Thats fine, like I said sex predators, and violent offenders that fine. But DUI's. Cmon. Not that I think seeing a prostitute is bad or anything I just wouldn't care about it. Must be a small town. Down here they don't have enough paper to print that. Figure you'd be putting in all these old 5X, 6X guys with the 20 year old girls. Who care's we all know what makes the world go round.
    Numerous towns do the public access thing, the big thing now is the $1 newspaper you can buy weekly showing all the people that were arrested in your zip code. Don't know if you guys have it up there yet, but its blowing up down here. Good biz to get into if your area doesn't have em anymore. If anyone interested in doing one I could handle making it, if you print and distribute it. PM me there making bank down here with these lil jail books at the quicky marts.

17. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Freedom of religion precludes the government from posting hard data on something like that, as it can be used by people in the government to discriminate. I suspect the USA is a bit more lax on such things, current hysteria aside.

While things like Drivers License plates and reverse phone number listings aren't commonly available, the privilege can be bought. Private investigators do it all the time.

The press is very careful to say "alleged" when they are covering a trial or arrest, as they have deep pockets. Doesn't prevent some very outlandish statements though.

Many times people confuse what the government can and can not do with businesses. The government may not suppress free speech, but your employer is another matter. A newspaper may not be required to print anything you say, but you are allowed to print it yourself.

If you have been convicted your information is public access. Information is for the trial too, but if someone chooses to make allegations and you win a court case they can pay (and pay, and pay).

18. Georacer

Nov 25, 2009
    Without wanting to troll or anything, just trying to understand a foreign culture:

Why would I want to know who was arrested in my zip code, and buy a paper to find out?

Is it out of desire for gossip? Agoraphobia? Suspicion? Could someone break it down to me?

19. JoeJester

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 26, 2005
    Convicted child molesters could be a reason.
    Convicted rapists could be a reason.
    Convicted sexual predators could be a reason.

20. maxpower097

Feb 20, 2009
    Unless he's a jackarse with a plate like AZZMAN (Sinfeild) or BIG-OIL or GR8TFL. But by far the best plate I've seen living in a town in a war against prescription drug abuse, to the point where their area pharmacies and pain mng clinics on every corner (Loosewire can confirm) I actually saw a Dr. with a plate that said :" Rx4-Fun" Oh and about your statistics unless you unchecked that little hidden button when you signed up, they are more then ok to sell your info. Its actually a multibillion dollar industry called Data Mining. I used to do it for a health care company. My job was to scour the internet and get all the info of any health related business. You'd be surprised how much stufff is just floating around out there.