Snowstorm?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
We got slammed last night. At least 7 inches. I made the mistake of going out right as it started. Roads were a mess on the way back. Lots of cars stuck on the side of the road. I was lucky to make it back.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
We got slammed last night. At least 7 inches. I made the mistake of going out right as it started. Roads were a mess on the way back. Lots of cars stuck on the side of the road. I was lucky to make it back.
Same here, The Snow plow got my mailbox again:mad: Thats the fourth time this year! Hope Spring come fast, don't know if the box has many more straightening's left in it.

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
Same here, The Snow plow got my mailbox again:mad: Thats the fourth time this year! Hope Spring come fast, don't know if the box has many more straightening's left in it.
You should just build a mailbox that will break the plow before it bends :)
That I would like to see.

mbohuntr

Joined Apr 6, 2009
That would make the evening news....and the lawyers would keep the drivers phone ringing off the hook... My last one was on a pipe with a 90 inserted into a sleeve. Would take quite a few hits before it loosened the box. Some people add a bunge cord to a cinder block so it returns to it's starting point.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
My mailbox is fastened to the solid brick front of my house on the porch beside the front door.
The mail lady delivers the mail on foot so she probably cannot kick my house down.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Sorry guys 80 degrees and sun in South Florida.After two years in a row
you guys will start coming to Florida again.Can believe we have had a net
of loss migration for a few years.Could not believe that the government
did not make wall street to give investors an accounting of of fees in
retirement plan,people didn't know if they could afford Florida.
108 is a good number for me,watch your post numbers,you may get one
of your lucky numbers.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
It's not actually the plow, it's the weight of the snow hitting it and the speed that they plow at. The base is brick and the box is tin and it smashes the box. Even broke the piece of plywood in front of it.

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
It's not actually the plow, it's the weight of the snow hitting it and the speed that they plow at. The base is brick and the box is tin and it smashes the box. Even broke the piece of plywood in front of it.
Dang!
We don't have to worry about this, out roads just never get plowed. :p

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
When I lived in MN, our mailbox was constantly getting broomed/batted by kids. It was on a curve, which I guess was an ideal location for that type of attack. After a few years of that, I decided to reinforce it a little. Four-inch steel tube, 48" deep with concrete and a 1/4" welded base for the mail box. I did it on a weekend, so all the kids in the neighborhood saw it. Thirty two years later, this is what it looks like (Google street view):

It has never been attacked since; even the snow plows have not affected it. It is still the best looking mail box on the block and is made to last.

John

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Which google earth did you use,do you have paid google or which choice
did you use. Now they give so many ways to navigate. Like find google
earth and what exact wording do you look for.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I used the Google Earth for the Earth that I live on. Is there more than one? I didn't know. I just clicked on it. A little copy/past and that's what I got. BTW, could even see my son's car in the driveway. At least, I hope it was his car. ;)

Now, isn't that a nice mail box?

John

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
Now, isn't that a nice mail box?

John
Don't know yet, I still need to take a hammer to it and see how it holds up...
I'll let you know sometime next week ;)

Why isn't your mail delivered to your door like mine?
Why do you have a box on a stick at the street?
Because this is America and we like to be difficult :)
And so the mailmen don't have to get out of the truck...
We also like to be lazy :D

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
Your American mailmen are wimps. My mail lady parks her truck on each street then walks door to door through the snow to deliver the mail at each door.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
In Cleveland, mail is delivered right to my house and put in the mail slot.

Out West, we tend to shoot anybody who invades our property. Maybe that's why they started puttin' the mailboxes at the street.

John

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
Out West, we tend to shoot anybody who invades our property. Maybe that's why they started puttin' the mailboxes at the street.

John
It's actually a law in some states that if someones on your property or in your car without your permission you can shoot them on sight, even if they are trying to leave when they see you have a gun.
I love the west :)

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
So some (not all) American mail men do not deliver mail to your door because they are afraid they might be shot?
Guns for civilians are stupid.