Snowstorm?

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
I find it interesting how some places can get 2 feet of snow and hardly bat an eye, like places with a lot of lake effect, and how some places shut down when they get a few inches
not saying any one of you or your respective towns is unprepared, im just observing a general trend...
in the words of Spock, "fascinating"

I know personally that we had no school the past two days, tuesday it snowed all day, got to level 1 emergency, today they cleared off ALL the roads, county and town, tomorrow we have school

like a machine

Ive heard of places in Michigan where they wouldn't even cancel today if they had what we had, just drive in the snow

mbohuntr

Joined Apr 6, 2009
Another point to ponder is the type of snow itself. Lake effect is not as slick as the stuff we just got. For one thing, there is much less water content in lake effect. The stuff from this storm is pretty slippery, like grease. Harder to walk in as well.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Its 4:30 eastern time,South Fla mild cool weather,what Is your weather like
and how will it affect your life today. Work ,school,driveing or anything take
second and report in. It is getting closer to Super Bowl weekend the
weather may be a factor for people to travel to the game,any comments
on super bowl travel.Any one from another country coming to the super bowl.
Are you going.

Last edited:

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
I find it interesting how some places can get 2 feet of snow and hardly bat an eye, like places with a lot of lake effect, and how some places shut down when they get a few inches
not saying any one of you or your respective towns is unprepared, im just observing a general trend...
in the words of Spock, "fascinating"
I'm in one of those places that doesn't bat an eye. The plows start running once 5" is on the ground, and they have a lot of those nifty "conveyor belt" snow ridge picker-upper things that fill semi's following them with the snow, so the streets are essentially permanently cleared off.

You can license a sled (snowmobile) here as well, so nothing makes you "trapped". The last time anything major was shut down was that blizzard back in '03 or so, where we had several feet in about 6 hours, with 40mph winds. Hard to keep up with that, but that only stopped everything for a day.

Lots of road-licensed 4 wheelerss/ATVs with chains on driving around (good LED lighting on them) some have the mini-plows on the front trying to make a bit of money clearing driveways or alleys. Not much is plowed/pushed, without a snowblower, there's no place to put snow after the first snowfall, and it keeps going until March or so.

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
Were similar, we don't usually mind, this is the first time we've been shut down in at least a year, cant remember if we had a storm last year, first time we've completely shut down since 03
I live in the country, so when its this bad we usually just get out the snow-mobiles, not like cop car can get them anyway
lots of farmers with plows on their pickups also :)

but unfortunately, we live in the slush zone, so its never worm for long, or snowy for long, it just stays right on the edge were its all dirty, muddy, slush :p

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
but unfortunately, we live in the slush zone, so its never worm for long, or snowy for long, it just stays right on the edge were its all dirty, muddy, slush :p
I'd almost like that. I think I'm up to about 3" of permafrost on my car's floor. Can't let it idle to warm up due to gas prices, and it only liquefies the top layer anyway. That's the main reason I have "summer car" and "winter car". Once it warms up, the winter snow/mud permafrost mix isn't a pleasant odor, so a complete carpet cleaning is needed.

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
hmm, never thought of that, but i almost think id prefer that, i cant drive my car in the winter anyway

We have enough snow to be a pain, but not enough to do anything with, snowmobiles are useable about 4 days a year...

eh, grass is always greener i suppose, or snows whiter...
take your pick :)

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
I find it interesting how some places can get 2 feet of snow and hardly bat an eye, like places with a lot of lake effect, and how some places shut down when they get a few inches.
They are not use to driving in it. It was snowing pretty good when I got out of pool last night ... and since I didn't have an ice scraper in my 2010 Impala, I ended up using a key to break the ice around my windshield wipers. The drive home, snow covered ice, wasn't too bad. I moved about slowly (20 MPH) and driving the car like I was operating a boat ... throttle up and throttle down ... no brakes ... let the rolling resistance slow me down with some very, very light brakes action. Oh yeah, start out at clutch speed with slow increases in the throttle up. None of that ... take us to warp 2 stuff. :D

p.s. I went right to a 24 hour walmart and got an ice/snow scraper.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
I like to watch newly imported people drive in snow.
They slide sideways through red lights with all 4 wheels locked up.
They rev the engine and wheels very fast when trying to start moving.
If they are driving a huge SUV then they usually end up upside-down.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
p.s. I went right to a 24 hour walmart and got an ice/snow scraper.
On ice scrapers, the best I've found are the ones that are a brass strip about 3" to 4" wide, and just under 1" long from the rubber-grip plastic handle.

Won't scratch glass, cleans off ice fast and easy. The plastic bladed scrapers tend to shatter once it gets below < 0°F

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
thatoneguy,

If I expected this to last more than a week or so, I'd be looking into getting a better ice scraper.

When I was in the western panhandle of Oklahoma, I woke up to a foot of snow and by noon, it was all sucked into the ground. It's been 22 years since this area had two evenings in single digits. We are certainly out of the Norm here in the DFW area.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
thatoneguy,

If I expected this to last more than a week or so, I'd be looking into getting a better ice scraper.

When I was in the western panhandle of Oklahoma, I woke up to a foot of snow and by noon, it was all sucked into the ground. It's been 22 years since this area had two evenings in single digits. We are certainly out of the Norm here in the DFW area.
Good point, forgot your location. I'm surprised Wal-Mart even carries Ice Scrapers of any sort in Dallas!

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
A car without an ice scraper!!!
*gasp

Unheard of up here
You bet. My 1300VW beetle required us to use the scraper on the inside when we moved to MN. That's why we sold it after two years. It wasn't so bad with just my wife and me, but with two additional little hot bodies, the frost really built up.

John

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
After sub freezing weather for almost a week, and 6 inches of snow, most of the ice and snow are gone, except where there is shade. It hit 50°+F today. Gotta love it.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Oh, you guys really suffer. I stopped in Terrell, TX one day when it hit 10°F. Coming from MN, I was happy it was above zero. The locals thought it was the end of the world.

I think I will go for a walk on Lake Erie tomorrow.

John