snes to xbox controller

powzoom

Joined Jan 18, 2009
I'm trying to use a SNES controller on my original xbox. I understand how the snes controller works and I'm able to read its output. However, I can't find any info at all on the original xbox controller protocol. I know it's usb and I know someone somewhere must have done this before. I'd like to plug in my snes controller into a pic -> have the pic read it -> then have the pic send out an xbox signal to the xbox. Anyone have links to documentation or helpful info?

powzoom

Joined Jan 18, 2009
thanks for the link. I'm still at a loss as for what to do with that information though. Does the xbox constantly poll the controller? I need to read more about how usb communication works. Any ideas how to implement this?

Dragonblight

Joined Aug 19, 2009
oh man, that seems so cold. the USB specification sheets are deep as hell and dry to boot.

I would personally suggest a direct 32 pin button to button mix up, saving time and, well, time. Figuring out usb, much less a console's usb is not the easiest. (I don't know if it's some proprietary data standard or not, but knowing that it's microsoft, if it were a standard ole HID i would be amazed)

They actually sell snes to USB converterers in different places. I know it's against the spirit of these forums to suggest a commercial device to someone, but hell, i'm way too lazy* to work that one out on a software level.

http://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Smartjoy-Controller-Adapter-Converter/dp/B0009VIZSY

* = and drunk