Snake Playing Robot

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by simplytuff, Jul 9, 2008.

1. simplytuff

Thread Starter Active Member

Mar 21, 2008
    Hello,

I want to build a system which can play Nokia Snake Xenzia game perfectly . This game can be found on various nokia mobiles i.e Nokia 1112 , 1110 , 1110i , 1600, 2310, 1200, 1208 !

[​IMG]

This game have a secret that the snake does not increase further after a limit so you can keep on playing and make a score of +100000 , but speed of snake is so fast at level 9 that u cannot precisely push button at time and snake dies !

My Maximum high score is 80,000 which is a world record !

So in order to play perfectly i am building a Robot which can play it continuously with out dying .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see in the pictures that in order to play perfectly you have to precisely push 2 & then 4 key , so snake will keep on moving

I need a circuit which will guide a Motor which will push the buttons precisely after required time

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

T1 = 1.98 Seconds ( Horizontal Movement )
    T2 = 400 Milli Seconds ( Vertical Movement )

i will need to build a case in order to fit nokia 1112 in it so it does not move.

The main problem is that i don't understand that which Mechanism will be used to push button of the mobile !

How can i use a motor to push buttons and which ( Servo , Stepper , DC ) ??

What are other ways from which i can precisely push the buttons of the mobile ?

and for the precise timing of the push can i use 555 ?

Last edited: Jul 15, 2008
  2. NM2008

Feb 9, 2008
    Interesting,
    I do not think it would would be possible to achieve a 400mS response from a motor type mechanism plus to build a device such as, could get very expensive!

As a thought, I'd say your best chance would be to use a transistor circuit to switch/open and close, the button contacts, but soldering the tiny contacts could render the phone useless for normal use!

If you are going to make any modification to the phone(though not recommended), it would be best to get your hands on an old one, that is only good for playing games.

Regards NM

3. simplytuff

Mar 21, 2008
    Expense is not an issue !

as i have to show it on Project Exhibition in my university on August , and i working with a 4 Member Group so it will divide the expense in 4 :)

other than that Nokia 1112 is not that costly so its no prob for me to modify the phone , the new 1112 cost only 2200 Rs ( 30 USD$ ) and i can find a old one in easily in 1400 Rs ( 18 USD$ )

the button contacts are also push button ,

400ms time is not xact , its just a round about figure .

what are other options to do this project ?

4. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    Your parents must be very proud of you. :rolleyes:

5. simplytuff

Mar 21, 2008
    Actually i want to controll the snake mechanicaly , thats why i dont want to use transister and other options which will require me to dissassemble my Phone !

Last edited: Jul 9, 2008
  6. simplytuff

Mar 21, 2008
    Here is a photo of the phone with casing removed

[​IMG]

7. simplytuff

Mar 21, 2008
    The direction pad buttons can also be used as shown in pic below

[​IMG]

8. NM2008

Feb 9, 2008
    In order to do this mechanically I think you would need some form of miniture spring loaded push solenoid, but even still, I doubt it would be as responsive as you need it. Also to rig up something like this, could take alot of time, and a large amount of trial and error!

Personally (if you are a beginner) I would considered another project, as this could waste valuable time and money,and there is a possibility of ending up with an expensive paper weight. Whereas a simpler/easy to work with idea may get you, (if not even more) marks you need.

Regards NM

9. simplytuff

Mar 21, 2008
    Thanx for the reply !

I am now making Lie Detector Circuit for the project !

But still i want to do this project for FUN !

10. simplytuff

Mar 21, 2008
    Does any body know that whether a Solenoid spring loaded Mechanism will work for this project "?

11. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    I would use one of these:

[​IMG]

12. simplytuff

Mar 21, 2008
    u should try this on your phone !

13. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    I have! It was a very satisfying experience. I invite you to try it on yours. :D

14. simplytuff

Mar 21, 2008
    i tried this on my old hard disk to get the superstrong magnets , lol

15. envytea

Feb 18, 2008
    If I understand this project correctly, I believe that a solenoid would work really well.

So, I am imagining 2 solenoids, one for button '2' and another for button '4'. Each button needs to be pushed every 2.38 seconds (1.98+0.4). Though they are staggered. Correct? As in:

'2' '4' '2' '4' (Button push)
    0...............0.5...............1.0...............1.5...............2.0...............2.5................3.0 (Seconds)

If this is correct, then actually, 1.98/0.4 is approximately 5. Well, the two periods have to be on the same scale since both dimensions exist on the same matrix of screen pixels. Sweet. So, it could be as simple as using a 555 set at a frequency of 0.4 Hz. This signal could go to a decade counter that is setup to reset at 6 periods. Output 1 could signal button '2'; outputs 2,3,4 are dead-ends; output 5 goes to button '4'; and output 6 is dead. This would give a switched pulse to two sources in the correct timing. These pulses could drive transistors that switch solenoids. The solenoid plungers will have some lag time, but they can be calibrated to fire slightly earlier- it is just a shift in set timing anyway... Maybe some little 12VDC solenoids. They'd be responsive enough, and easy to power.

I hope the Ascii diagram makes sense. Good luck.

Nick

16. envytea

Feb 18, 2008
    Shoot. Ascii art did not translate well. I will try again.

17. envytea

Feb 18, 2008
    '2' --------'4'------------------------------------------------------------- '2'----------'4' (Button push)
    0...............0.5...............1.0............. ..1.5...............2.0...............2.5......... .......3.0 (Seconds)

ok.

18. simplytuff

Mar 21, 2008
    Thnx , really appreciate ur help !

Yea the new ascii art is correct !

The t1 & t2 were just round about figures , i will check and post the xact figures tomorrow also i will upload video of the game play so you get a better view of this project !

But there is one drawback :(

I was doing some research on Solenoids

Solenoids have thin winding , so they cannot be used continuously for longer use or the winding will burn due to extensive heat caused by flow of current . Most small solenoids ( http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prodinfo.asp?number=G16333&variation= ) have maximum rating of continuous work of 1 Hour !

But in order to achieve a HighScore it have to play for 8 to 10 Hours

as there is a interval of 2.38 seconds after each button pressed so i guess it will work for 2 to 3 hours max , i will go to market tomorrow and buy 3 or 4 different types of solenoids and check there practical max rating

19. theamber

Jun 13, 2008
    Pretty good one Sgt.
    You have a world record!, has it comes to your mind that maybe you are the only one that has spent more than 5 seconds playing that game in the world???:p
    From your posts I can gather this:
    You want a robot to play your game autonomously.
    The game looks simple, is a snake that has to be between two lines.
    Two bottoms activate the snake left-right or up-down.
    You want to build two mechanical switches that presses on either bottom with reference to the snake position on the screen.
    You said you do not want to disassemble the phone.
    You said you have problems with the output part of the robot (pressing the bottoms). Have you figured out yet what about the input part of the robot?(meaning how are you going to make the robot sees the snake movement on the screen and soroundins areas)I will be very surprised if you do. You will need some optical sensors for that.
    Now about the robot ouput you can open a regular relay and put the realy contacts touching the circuit board under the membrane keypad glue them with epoxy or use other holding mechanism (e.g. screws, clamps).I don't know the response time of a regular relays but it is faster than a human response.
    If you need faster response then you can use SSRs (semiconductor relays) switching and soldering the outputs to the bottom contacts therefore closing the circuit, however the output will be electrical so you will need to know the phone signaling or it may upset other fuctions.
    One final note if you continue playing games I don't think you will be able to finish any project like this.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2008
  20. simplytuff

Mar 21, 2008
    Hmmmm , u are taking this to a whole new level !

i want to keep it simple !

The snake(Robot) will not sense/see the food and eat it ( though it wud be cool )

Think of it as it is a blind snake in a room with rows and it is roaming row by row in room for food

The best solution to achieve this is by using 2 Solenoids (to push 2 & 4 Keys) like envytea mentioned earlier !

The snake will get bigger and bigger to a limit , after that limit snake will not increase its lenght !

See Following Picture for better understanding , in this pics snake is at its MAX lenght !

[​IMG]