SN74LVC2G74DCTR as a Divide by 2

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Tim301, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Tim301

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 3, 2012
    Hi folks,

For many years, I have used a standard D type FF (74x74) to divide an incoming frequency. Hook the D input to the Q output, & works great.

I just used one of the single section D-flops (see title & it's a little bitty part), and it didn't work.

Both the Pre & Clr lines are tied directly to 3.3v, and the supply has good bypassing.

To make it work, I had to put a 10k resistor in place of the D-Q connection and add some capacitance to the D side. (slowing the signal down).

I substituted a standard 74HC74 in it's place (kludge on the board), and it worked fine without the extra circuitry.

Am I seeing some kind of race condition due to the higher speed of the part?

Looking at the data sheet, you have to hold data on the D pin at least 1.2ns after the clock rises, and the prop-delay through the part is 2.2ns. So, at least spec-wise, it looks like I have 1ns to 'spare'.

Ideas?

Thanks,

Tim

2. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    Peculiar. I think you're on to something here. I cannot see a reason why this is happening. These are very fast logic, 200MHz clock rates. The only thing I can think of is there is something peculiar about your set up - rise time/fall time, board capacitance, power supply etc. Perhaps contact the chip maker.

Let us know when you find an answer.

3. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    Is the chip decoupled with a small ceramic cap (0.01 to 0.1μF) directly between the power pin and ground pin?