SMS text power out alarm

gturnbull

Joined Jun 19, 2008
Hi all,

I have been looking for a plan for a DIY Mobile power out sms alarm.

IE when my power fails in my house , I receive a text message on my mobile.

Can this be done and is it fairly straightforward.

Thanks

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
You can use a SIM remote controller and program it to send a message to any mobile number you like etc. Another option is to take a cheap mobile and modify it to detect the failure and send the message.

gturnbull

Joined Jun 19, 2008
You can use a SIM remote controller and program it to send a message to any mobile number you like etc. Another option is to take a cheap mobile and modify it to detect the failure and send the message.

I was planning on Modding a mobile phone to do it, but don't know how.

That is what I am, trying to find out :)

Alberto

Joined Nov 7, 2008
gturnbull, I have designed a sms controller with 8 outputs and 8 inputs, where you can via sms modify the state of the outputs and have a report on the inputs status. The project is complete with schematics and software and is available for free at my blog site.

Enjoy

Alberto

http://techni.caliti.es/blog/

two_roads

Joined Dec 29, 2012
Hi,

Realise this is an old thread; does anyone know where Alberto's blog can be found these days? The link shown two posts up is dead.

Thansk

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
A VERY simple and off the shelf solution would be a SmartUPS Uninterupptable Power Supply with Serial out for status.

There's an app that runs on the computer that will perform actions when the power is interrupted, or out for a certain time. You could set it to automatically submit a URL that sends an SMS to your phone through your cellular provider website.