SMS controller message validity..please help

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
The serial lead you have is a rs232, which has different voltage levels. You can either make a converter if you get a max3232 chip and a few capacitors, or buy the 3.3V uart cable, whichever is easier for you.

When you have the cable, you will first connect it to the TXD lead of the queltec to see what settings does the micro send when it´s powered up. If all is good and the micro doesn´t reset the value each time, then you will need to cut the RXD somewhere to disconnect the micro and connect the cable to the queltec, send the command and put everything back.

bowlingo

Joined Jun 29, 2011
Thanks...

How do I actually connect the TXD and RXD leads?...Are we talking about pulling the Queltec off and working with that part only until its time to plug it back onto the main board again?

bowlingo

Joined Jun 29, 2011
I have just received this e-mail from Quectel

Dear Alex,

It’s nice to know you, I’m Edward from Quectel FAE department.
About the validity, yes, there is a setting within the M10 to extend the message validity, the AT command is AT+CSMP,
Pay attention to the first parameter <fo> and the second parameter <vp>.

<vp> identifies the time period for which the SMS is valid in the SMSC. And its format is defined in <vpf> of <fo> field.
More details just refer to the document GSM_SMS_AN_V1.0.pdf I have attached, and the table of <vp>relative format is in page 34
The default parameter of <vp> is 71, that means the validity of SMS is 6 hours, I guess that’s why you ran into this problem.

Hope I can help you, if you have any further questions, feel free to contact me.
Thank you.

Here is the manual

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=DR8I0B2Z

Thanks

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
Thanks...

How do I actually connect the TXD and RXD leads?...Are we talking about pulling the Queltec off and working with that part only until its time to plug it back onto the main board again?
I will have to look on how it is connected to power to see if it better to keep it off the board or connected.

As for the cables, either of the two 3.3V ones will work, drivers are standard ftdi drivers so there should be no problem with that.

bowlingo

Joined Jun 29, 2011
im on msn with the quectel tech support fella

I dont really understand what hes saying (language barrier)

hes just said

PIN 2 RXD
PIN 3 TXD
PIN 5 GNDMSG

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
The table in the datasheet says something different...
Anyway, tell me when you have the cable so we can continue this quest :)

bowlingo

Joined Jun 29, 2011
Ive just ordered the lead (3.3v)..I paid for Saturday delivery

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-TTL-S...uting_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item43a90b4298

Ive been trying to communicate with the supprt fella from Quectel..hes trying his best but its very very hard work due to his English being very poor.

Hes saying I need to solder onto..

"the PIN 60 is TXD and the PIN61 is RXD"

but he hasnt said anything about GND even when I asked him I got no useful reply

Hes also sent me the Quectel terminal program which looks easy enough to use.

Im going to have to get a pointed tipped iron to do this as it looks fiddly as hell to solder onto the specific pins.

I have to be 100% sure im on the right pins also.

thanks
Alex

bowlingo

Joined Jun 29, 2011
Here is the e-mail he sent me before telling me on MSN about the pins to connect to etc..

Dear Alex,

First of all, take a look at the cover of module, and tell me the firmware. it’ll be the sign as M10BRXXXXXN32.

And I am not sure the main serial port whether is leaded out, if it’s ,send the command AT+QLOCPU=0 immediately
a couple of times after power on. Then the module is into the Command Mode, ( use AT+QLOCPU=1 to get back to the opencpu module)
use AT+CSMP? Check what’s the parameter is, and give me the return. You can fight out the validity time with the under table’s help.
Then send the AT+CSMP=17,167,0,0 to the module, And AT+CSAS to save the setting.
then the validity time will be 24 hours.

More detail just refer to the document what have sent it to you before.(the table is in page34 ).

IF the serial port haven’t been leaded out, then you can use the code to set the command. Since you can operate the module to send a message,
That means you can operated the API of SMS, then you should be able to operate the setting.

I sent him the firmware version and he said what I am trying to acheive can be done with the version in question

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
You should try looking at the board. You can safely connect the cable´s RX to PIN61 and gnd to some available ground.
Then you would try to disconnect the PIN60 trace so that the controller doesn´t interfere with your commands.

When you have the RX ready try opening the terminal and power up the device, you should see all the commands it sends to the gsm module.

bowlingo

Joined Jun 29, 2011
Here is the e-mail from the person who sold me the lead..

Alex,

If you just unzip the download to a directory and when you plug the cable in, it will ask for a location of the driver just select the directory and it will install.

Pin 60 of the chip is TX, then this is Transmit of the chip and Receive of the PC (YELLOW).
Pin 61 of the chip is RX, then this is Receive of the chip and Transmit of the PC (ORANGE).

Ground can be connected to say the metal work of the box etc.

Note that you might not be able to talk to the chip if it is already connected to something else (SMS controller).
If this setting ‘validity’ is already set up by the SMS controller then every time you turn the thing on you will probably have to update the setting every time too.

There is a bit of analysis to be done before you can do what you want to do – you also need some software to watch the messages too – just to see what commands are being sent etc.

As of the above pic I need to pull the M10 board off the sms controllers board, solder the yellow onto pin 60, orange onto pin 61 and somehow connect the ground..I dont know which colour is ground or how to ensure ive got a ground? Do I also have to desolder some of the pins?

Im not sure if it is wise attempting this because if I blow up the chip then its game over.

Thanks

Last edited:

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
First, you should get a multimeter and check where do pins 60 and 61 go on the connectors.
You also need to trace where the ground that connects to the left side of the yellow capacitor is connected on the connector.

After you connect the RX of the cable to the TX of the chip and connect the ground, you should leave the connected so that the chip gets some power.