SMPS transformer switching

roro36

Joined Sep 7, 2010
This is what the input to my transformer looks like. Basically I have a 2 switch flyback SMPS which switches roughly 75V DC to the transformer, which is what I've shown. It should be on, then off, with some energy discharge into the flyback diodes. Why is there such a large negative spike before the positive one?

Attachments

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Because the current was still flowing through the flyback diodes when the MOSFETs turned on. Rather than the diodes, you really need more like a snubber arrangement.

Not sure why you decided to switch both the high and low side of the transformer primary; you might as well have used a full bridge and made a push-pull configuration, or just stuck with switching the low side. As it is now, you're getting losses from the Rds(on) of two MOSFETs instead of just one.

hasanferoz

Joined Mar 8, 2011
roro36 i was looking at ur circuit and was wondering what is the function of R3 and C8 i then figured out that they are actually saving the the transfomer from being saturated if this is write can u tell me the theory behind it and how can i calculate them