smps - is it beyond home build??

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
With the understanding I have not tested them, I could throw out designs for you to look at, would you be interested? If nothing else, they can give you ideas. This is why I like to browse cookbooks.

THE_RB has some really simple elegant designs on his web site. I will state straight out I trust his designs over mine. Clink on his name to pull up his profile, he has his links listed.

I doodle, which I call designing. It is what I do for fun. I've been very busy (and stressed), which meant I haven't doodled in a while.

Guinness

Joined Dec 31, 2009
With the understanding I have not tested them, I could throw out designs for you to look at, would you be interested? If nothing else, they can give you ideas. This is why I like to browse cookbooks.

THE_RB has some really simple elegant designs on his web site. I will state straight out I trust his designs over mine. Clink on his name to pull up his profile, he has his links listed.

I doodle, which I call designing. It is what I do for fun. I've been very busy (and stressed), which meant I haven't doodled in a while.
Yes I would be very interested in looking at your designs, will also look at THE_RB aswell. Every bit of info is useful thank you.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
Show me the post, and I can answer better.
Hi Bill the thread was this one, where he linked to a cheap ebay off-line SMPS and wanted to build one;
http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=71742

What is not allowed on AAC is transformerless power supplies.
Ahah! Thanks for setting me straight there. I thought it was a blanket ban on direct mains electronics including off-line SMPS designs.

If he wants to go a more traditional route (I'm thinking of the HF transformer) we can point out the pitfalls.
Cool! I have a couple of very simple off-line SMPS designs, and people often ask me about off-line stuff but thinking it was banned here I have never published the designs here or on my web page (bacause that is linked to from here).

If things loosen up regarding off-line SMPS and the general consensus is positive I might consider publishing a couple of simple designs (with the appropriate warnings of course).

My job gave me the weekend off, does it show?
Haha I wish mine did! I squeeze in forum time during cooking meals or watching TV etc. ;)