Smooth Fitness Treadmill issues

junoon0977

Joined Dec 24, 2010
Hi guys, I am having some problems with my treadmill. It runs for a short while then shuts off. I ran the motor without load ie the drive belt off but same result. There are many pictures of the circuit boards here. I havent done any soldering but circuit boards are not very complicated so I might be able to change things on them as long as the problem can be diagnosed. Any help will be really appreciated.

Attachments

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Sounds like a temperature related problem.

Try using some spray component cooler. You might find it at a Radio Shack store, or at your local mom & pop electronics store.

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
Have you checked the running rollers and gear set for seized bearings?

The problem sounds like it is just over taxing the motor, and after awhile it overheats and shuts down.

With the motor out of the gear train, how freely does everything turn?

junoon0977

Joined Dec 24, 2010
Sounds like a temperature related problem.

Try using some spray component cooler. You might find it at a Radio Shack store, or at your local mom & pop electronics store.
You know the temprature seems to be very normal. I have touched the motor while running, it seems to be at ambient temp and all the circuits are also at normal temp. It only runs for about 3 minutes and shuts down, not enough time to get hot. My guess is leaning towards something on the PCB burnt out or not functioning properly. Thanks for looking at my post.

junoon0977

Joined Dec 24, 2010
Have you checked the running rollers and gear set for seized bearings?

The problem sounds like it is just over taxing the motor, and after awhile it overheats and shuts down.

With the motor out of the gear train, how freely does everything turn?
The motor is totally free, I have removed the belt that drives the roller so motor is spinning totally free. Motor seems to be in good shape, it doesn't vibrate, out of balance or smells burnt. Gotta be something wrong with the components on the board. Thanks for reading my post.

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
follow all the cable harnesses to the places where they plug into something, make sure they are secure

check any switch or interlocks.

If its a problem in a circuit, I would suspect a missing ground, probably from an open in a bad component. Just from the description of its operation and failure modes.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
You know the temprature seems to be very normal. I have touched the motor while running, it seems to be at ambient temp and all the circuits are also at normal temp. It only runs for about 3 minutes and shuts down, not enough time to get hot. My guess is leaning towards something on the PCB burnt out or not functioning properly. Thanks for looking at my post.
I stand by my original recommendation.
Link: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102648

junoon0977

Joined Dec 24, 2010
Ahem....
Check Motor Brushes and or Opto feedback PCB.
Bingo! That was the problem. I was goofing around with the motor and removed a big screw and brush popped out. There was a lot of carbon deposit so I just cleaned the whole thing out and put it back together. Now it is working great. Apparently due to the carbon deposits, motor was pulling more amps and circuits are very sensitive to the increased amps and they would shut the machine down before any real damage.

Guys thanks so much for your help, I really appreciate it. Happy Holidays to everybody!!!