Smoker Circuit Design

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
First I would open with the fact that.... I am not an Engineer, and not a Programmer.

Just a Hobby guy on this site with limited knowledge in electronics, I have worked in Electronic Assembly working with Engineers RD, worked with a database repairing TV's, no audio experience.

I was the Quality Control and Quality Assurance, everything I did was hand built at the time.

I also did Commercial and Residential repair, Furnaces, Air Conditioning, appliances - Range, microwave, refrigerators, swamp coolers, small appliances you name it.

I have a pick kit 2, Analog and digital scope, DMM, frequency generator. Still need an Isolated power supply.

Now my question about a potential project, I will take my time with it:

If you were going to design a circuit for a "Smoker" ? in my case I want to use a self cleaning oven and fit a rig on it below the cavity that would feed wood chips or pellets into a burn pan and direct the smoke to the interior.

I thought I could use a smoke detector circuit and feed input maybe to a pick processor.

Maybe someone has a circuit design already? or you might do it differently? I don't know, that's why I'm asking here.

Thanks,

kv

Stuntman

Joined Mar 28, 2011
If my memory serves me correctly: The early wood pellet grills simply had some kind of fire starting device (electric burner?), a variable speed auger, fan for oxidizing the burning pellets, and a temperature sensor (optional).

If it was a temp controlled unit, you got the sensor and the speed of the auger was some kind of loop based on your target temperature. If you got the models with just a few settings (think: A B C D reflecting different heat levels), it simply changed the speed of the auger.

Should be pretty doable, but realize a commercial unit may be cheaper and safer.

SLK001

Joined Nov 29, 2011
Most ovens that I know of have 220V elements. If you use them at 120V, you will get 1/4 of the power out of their rated power. For someone with limited electronics knowledge, I second @Stuntman 's suggestion of purchasing a consumer unit. These voltages can easily kill.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Most ovens that I know of have 220V elements. If you use them at 120V, you will get 1/4 of the power out of their rated power. For someone with limited electronics knowledge, I second @Stuntman 's suggestion of purchasing a consumer unit. These voltages can easily kill.
I have experience working with High Voltage, it's low voltage that is not in my wheelhouse. You did bring up a point, running heating element at a lower voltage will slow the process down, that would be a good thing if I want to hold temperatures more evenly over time.

If my memory serves me correctly: The early wood pellet grills simply had some kind of fire starting device (electric burner?), a variable speed auger, fan for oxidizing the burning pellets, and a temperature sensor (optional).

If it was a temp controlled unit, you got the sensor and the speed of the auger was some kind of loop based on your target temperature. If you got the models with just a few settings (think: A B C D reflecting different heat levels), it simply changed the speed of the auger.

Should be pretty doable, but realize a commercial unit may be cheaper and safer.
The oven thermostat can be adjusted for lower temps, if I can modify a smoke detector circuit to shut the burner and auger off when chamber reaches a desired smoke level is what I'm after. The smoke detector already can run a light and buzzer, it would run a small motor for the auger. All I need is a pulldown resistor circuit.

A good smoker runs over $1,299 us. So, you can see why it might be a good idea if someone can hack something together. Also, if you wanted a bigger box, this way you can choose the dimension at will.

The natural convection moving the smoke from the bottom and venting it out the hole near the rear burner was my plan and put the burn box on the bottom and it will naturally migrate up.

kv

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
I always thought the smokers worked strictly on heat in the smoke chamber. When smoking meat you don't want it to be too hot or the meat gets too dried out. The pellet part could be controlled with a weight sensor. As the pellets are reduced to ash(and weigh less) the auger would feed until the set point is reached again.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
The smoke detectors I have seen have a threshold that is way too low for this purpose, very not adjustable, and too easily poisoned by accumulation of condensed gasses.
I also think, "safety" is irrelevant if you place the smoker far enough from the house and any trees.:D

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
First I would open with the fact that.... I am not an Engineer, and not a Programmer.

Just a Hobby guy on this site with limited knowledge in electronics, I have worked in Electronic Assembly working with Engineers RD, worked with a database repairing TV's, no audio experience.

I was the Quality Control and Quality Assurance, everything I did was hand built at the time.

I also did Commercial and Residential repair, Furnaces, Air Conditioning, appliances - Range, microwave, refrigerators, swamp coolers, small appliances you name it.

I have a pick kit 2, Analog and digital scope, DMM, frequency generator. Still need an Isolated power supply.

Now my question about a potential project, I will take my time with it:

If you were going to design a circuit for a "Smoker" ? in my case I want to use a self cleaning oven and fit a rig on it below the cavity that would feed wood chips or pellets into a burn pan and direct the smoke to the interior.

I thought I could use a smoke detector circuit and feed input maybe to a pick processor.

Maybe someone has a circuit design already? or you might do it differently? I don't know, that's why I'm asking here.

Thanks,

kv
Finally... my dream project has been posted by someone as enthusiastic as I am!
I'll keep an eye on this thread, and help you with whatever thing I can, my friend.

Cheers!

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
A simple LED and phototransistor combo.
Smoke stack will be coolest point to place it.
Amount of light striking the transistor changes and this becomes the start and stop signal to the auger.

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
The amount of air draft will affect this too, so you may need that pickit 2 before this thread ends...
Or put some resistors around a multi position switch and use presets. :)

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
A simple LED and phototransistor combo.
Smoke stack will be coolest point to place it.
Amount of light striking the transistor changes and this becomes the start and stop signal to the auger.
It's a good idea, but eventually both components would be affected by soot, I think.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
The amount of air draft will affect this too, so you may need that pickit 2 before this thread ends...
Or put some resistors around a multi position switch and use presets. :)
This is a good start, I think it's got me past the sensing portion, my plan is to develop slowly if someone wants to move forward with the electronics I don't care, I would like this to be a group project and ideas are welcome and even better if tested. My work and my life makes it difficult to proceed at a steady rate. So, if someone has more time and equipment like I do test the theory, but like I said this is a good idea.

I wanted it to be something that someone else can just purchase the parts and follow an easy plan

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
This is a good start, I think it's got me past the sensing portion, my plan is to develop slowly if someone wants to move forward with the electronics I don't care, I would like this to be a group project and ideas are welcome and even better if tested. My work and my life makes it difficult to proceed at a steady rate. So, if someone has more time and equipment like I do test the theory, but like I said this is a good idea.

I wanted it to be something that someone else can just purchase the parts and follow an easy plan
I've been meaning to design my own grill-smoking device for a while now. And this is the perfect opportunity. I'm a mechanical engineer, and I'm quite proficient at drawing professional-quality plans and models in AutoCAD. If you let me help you, I might even come up with some plans to build it, based on readily available materials and construction techniques.

What say you? :)

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
I would @cmartinez :), I'm not getting any good idea's for the auger. Is it chips, is it pellets, I'm not sure. The next thing like someone else side you need it to be mount reasonably far enough from the heat to do a cold smoke. I also thought using a convection range might be interesting. I'm all jumbled up about the approach.

kv

Edit: Worse yet I've only smoked on my Radiant BBQ and don't know what professionals do?

In the end I want to bottle Fish but someone said smoking the fish before bottling is really good, plus I would like to smoke and put it through my sealed package machine, which I've never used :oops:

Last edited:

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
@cmartinez, I'll refrain my ideas until you have had time to do some pre-planning, remember I am in no way in a hurry and would like to assemble the pieces proper before opening it up in the "Projects Forum"

kv

SLK001

Joined Nov 29, 2011
What kind of smoker are you after? AFAIK, there are three types of smokers: hot smokers, cold smokers and water smokers. I have a water smoker that I use to prepare all kinds of meat (this kind brings the meat up to the proper temp). I last used it for my TG turkey (everybody loves the smoked turkey).

I'm assuming that you are shooting for a cold smoker, where the temperature never exceeds 90° F and the smoking process lasts for days, if not weeks.

What do you mean by "bottleing" fish? Do you mean canning? I don't know how you could do this with cold smoke products. Maybe just vacuum seal, but cold smoked products are usually just left out in the air.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
What kind of smoker are you after? AFAIK, there are three types of smokers: hot smokers, cold smokers and water smokers. I have a water smoker that I use to prepare all kinds of meat (this kind brings the meat up to the proper temp). I last used it for my TG turkey (everybody loves the smoked turkey).

I'm assuming that you are shooting for a cold smoker, where the temperature never exceeds 90° F and the smoking process lasts for days, if not weeks.

What do you mean by "bottleing" fish? Do you mean canning? I don't know how you could do this with cold smoke products. Maybe just vacuum seal, but cold smoked products are usually just left out in the air.
Point taken, this is what I'm also looking at, I have no idea where to go with the smoking processes. The differences is really what most people would like to do apparently. This is also what needs to be discussed. I remember a chamber that we used to test circuit boards it had different controls settings. Cold, Hot, but didn't as I remember have a humidity control?

I'll maybe go with a combo, if that possible? But, which will work with what?

Thank you.

kv

Edit: It would be canning for me, but still I want it for most peoples idea of what they would do with this process.

Last edited:

Joined Nov 30, 2010
If you position the sensors outside the stack the pressure will pull the smoke in as the pressure goes up and out the top, partial pressure laws will insure it.
Excellent! Besides, if anybody asks what you've been smoking, you will have a legal answer.

ps, the equation for a chimney contains temperature difference and altitude. That means, a lot of altitude above the open ports for the light beam will ensure a good vacuum effect.