Smoked my 555 Timer

fearnofish420

Joined Feb 17, 2009
I am not sure but I made a pwm circuit with a 55 time ic and everything worked as thought when I had it connected to a breadboard. Recently I tried to put everything onto a PCB by soldering the connections myself. I double checked to make sure no solder was touching other connections on the pcb. I without thinking touced the neg wire from the pcb to the + of the 12v battery and the + of the pcb to the - or the battery. would this be the reason I smoked the 555 Timer CHIP??:confused::mad:

Thanks

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Sadly, that would indeed let the magic smoke out. :(

The good news is that you roasted one of the most plentiful and inexpensive IC's on the planet. Obtaining more won't take either much time nor money.

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
I am not sure but I made a pwm circuit with a 55 time ic and everything worked as thought when I had it connected to a breadboard. Recently I tried to put everything onto a PCB by soldering the connections myself. I double checked to make sure no solder was touching other connections on the pcb. I without thinking touced the neg wire from the pcb to the + of the 12v battery and the + of the pcb to the - or the battery. would this be the reason I smoked the 555 Timer CHIP??:confused::mad:

Thanks
If you post a schematic diagram of the circuit maybe we can help you avoid a repeat performance of the smoke signals. That is if the cause was a hook-up error.

hgmjr

HarveyH42

Joined Jul 22, 2007
Also, the 555 can only sink/source 200 mA, CMOS is less, but don't know the number off hand. If your load exceeds that, you get smoke.

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008

Thanks
When did you see the smoke coming out?