Smoke test - intriguing outcome.

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by atferrari, Feb 10, 2016.

1. atferrari

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Jan 6, 2004
    Around six months ago I managed to burn my middle finger big time, by touching a TO220 transistor in a constant current source out of control. Yesterday I repeated the burning experience and dare to say the effect was even worst when testing the circuit here below.

Smoke test.png

Both channels were outputting a continuous negative voltage of around -3,76V. The test lasted maybe two or three minutes until I checked how warm both opamps were. Imagine cursing!

After finding out the reason I was resigned to replace both opamps TL071 and TL074 so when they had cooled down completely I connected them properly to see how much they were damaged. Long story short, both channels are giving the expected 5 V (+ 3 to 4 mv) for an input of +3,7V right now on my bench.

How comes...?

SANY9377.JPG

2. paulktreg

Distinguished Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Because you connected them correctly? ;-)

3. Lestraveled

May 19, 2014
    By now I am sure the fingerprint of my right index finger looks like a mirrored transistor part number. As far as what was going on with your circuit, don't have a clue. But....In your schematic there are no TLO71 op-amps.

4. atferrari

Jan 6, 2004
    Yes, as I said, I did it later.

The schematic shows the power supplies reversed. Sorry, I should have said that explicitly. Minimum 2 minutes!

Yes, there is one TL074 and one TL071.

5. SLK001

Nov 29, 2011
    I imagine that the op amps have some form of reverse polarity protection diode that was getting hot. Your schematic shows the powers are connected in reverse. Is that the way you connected on your protoboard?

6. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    The "reverse protection" diode is simply the normal parasitic substrate diode that most IC's have, which conducts when the power is reversed.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    I think you should learn to wet your finger before you touch IC's. You will get burnt less.;)

8. atferrari

Jan 6, 2004
    I used to do that in the past. Call it overconfidence this time.:)