Smoke Detector with Email Capability

tjvance

Joined Oct 23, 2012
I live in an apartment with old crap wiring and have dogs. I'm worried that there could be a fire someday. I don't have the money for ADT so I am going to try to design a fire detector that will email my phone through my WiFi at home. While doing the research I found that there was one that would text you but it involved having a sim card and paying a cell phone provider monthly. Does anyone have any ideals on how this might be possible? Thanks

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I think the simplest way would be to re-purpose an old computer to do the job. The hardest part would be the interface - getting the signal from the smoke detector to trigger a macro on the computer. But that shouldn't be too bad.

tjvance

Joined Oct 23, 2012
I'm not sure if you could somehow use a prepaid phone for the text but that is a good ideal to look into. The re-purposed PC is a good ideal too. Thanks guys.

Mcgyvr there is a fire department near my apartment and there is a good chance it wouldn't be too late. You might need a new user name, is that what Macgyver would have said? lol

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
How about a sound activated switch, that triggers a script/program on you computer. This program, uses a webcam to take a snapshot of the area around the smokedetector, and send it in an Gmail you'll receive on your smartphone....

With a sound activated switch, you don't need to alter/change anything on the smoke detector.

id_ruben

Joined Oct 27, 2009
The possibility of using the PSTN. If the sensor detects smoke then circuit calls to your mobile number. If you get a call from home, your home means they're smoky.