Smoke Detector with Email Capability

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by tjvance, Oct 23, 2012.

1. tjvance

Thread Starter New Member

Oct 23, 2012
    I live in an apartment with old crap wiring and have dogs. I'm worried that there could be a fire someday. I don't have the money for ADT so I am going to try to design a fire detector that will email my phone through my WiFi at home. While doing the research I found that there was one that would text you but it involved having a sim card and paying a cell phone provider monthly. Does anyone have any ideals on how this might be possible? Thanks
  2. wayneh

Sep 9, 2010
    I think the simplest way would be to re-purpose an old computer to do the job. The hardest part would be the interface - getting the signal from the smoke detector to trigger a macro on the computer. But that shouldn't be too bad.
  3. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    whats the point? Once you get the text its too late to do anything about it.
  4. kubeek

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 20, 2005
    Can´t you use a prepaid card?
  5. tjvance

Oct 23, 2012
    I'm not sure if you could somehow use a prepaid phone for the text but that is a good ideal to look into. The re-purposed PC is a good ideal too. Thanks guys.

Mcgyvr there is a fire department near my apartment and there is a good chance it wouldn't be too late. You might need a new user name, is that what Macgyver would have said? lol
  6. tjvance

Oct 23, 2012
    Yes, I looked into it and I can use a prepaid sim card. Thanks guys, I just wasn't thinking.
  7. nerdegutta

Dec 15, 2009
    How about a sound activated switch, that triggers a script/program on you computer. This program, uses a webcam to take a snapshot of the area around the smokedetector, and send it in an Gmail you'll receive on your smartphone....

With a sound activated switch, you don't need to alter/change anything on the smoke detector.
  8. id_ruben

Oct 27, 2009
    The possibility of using the PSTN. If the sensor detects smoke then circuit calls to your mobile number. If you get a call from home, your home means they're smoky.