SMD transistor power dissipation

drvlas

Joined Oct 16, 2015
the symmetrical output is indeed a plus
Comparatively, since my 2*N output connector and decoupled channels allow connection with any polarity.

It almost seems like a job for a relay.
Sorry, I had to explain
f1-struct.png

2*8 terminals as inputs and 2*8 terminals as output. Quick enough to exclude relays, but must be ready to switch external relays.

Well, I lost some time to decide among MCUs, the cost of decision was about $0.80. And now I want to choose G3VM - it makes a $16 additional price per my 8 channels :)

drvlas

Joined Oct 16, 2015
Дякую!
Thanks, added to my library. It's a very good transistor.
It's a rare occasion to see such a characteristic: "Emitter-Collector Breakdown Voltage (Base Open)" :) Profound datasheet!
Still, 2 points are embarrassing.
1) In open state the residual voltage on a switch (Vce) is not a "Collector-Emitter Saturation Voltage" from a datasheet, but a sum of photo transistor Vce and switch's Vbe. It will be more than 1 V anyway. So the power dissipation is up to 0.5 W with my 400 mA max current.
From this point of view a "Collector-Emitter Saturation Voltage" is not a vital in such "Darlington" configuration.
It is a new info that this thread (and #12) has brought.

2) I believe that ZXTN07045EFF can dissipate 1.5 W. But I think the printed board will be very hot. It darkens with time under such conditions and I don't know what else happens - and the reliability may degrade. That was a reason to me to open this issue.

I began to draw a board. If anybody cares, I can show the result here.

Sensacell

Joined Jun 19, 2012
Make sure to design your board to help the transistor dissipate the power.
Lot's of copper leading the heat away- this will make a big difference in the temperature of the transistor.

drvlas

Joined Oct 16, 2015
That is exactly what #12 proposed, with MOSFET switch transistor. And it is very good.
But I want a module that behaves as if it has relay outputs. No place to any additional power source. Look at my module - just 2 terminals for a channel.
BTW, what do 70 and 28 mW mean? Why there are 2 values?

Bordodynov

Joined May 20, 2015
Voltage=70.56mV and Power=28 mW.
The winding of the relay have shunted diode? If so, then everything is in order.
Model for optomos CPC1018N-R05.
VCC is a 5V microcontroller power supply. A V2 - output of the controller.

Last edited: