SMD soldering (lack of solder)

Dritech

Joined Sep 21, 2011
Hi all,

When soldering SMD components, it is a bad practice to leave the pads visible (as shown in the photo below)?
upload_2016-8-21_13-18-27.png

Also, is it normal for high temperature solder not to be shiny (as shown in the photo below)?
upload_2016-8-21_15-25-55.png upload_2016-8-21_15-26-23.png upload_2016-8-21_15-27-2.png
Are these solder joints any good, or will they cause intermittent problems?

Thanks in advance.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Unless the pad-plus-solder is being relied on as a heatsink I see no problem with the pad not being totally covered in solder.
Lead-free solder joints may be dull. Don't know about high-temp solder joints.

Dritech

Joined Sep 21, 2011
Thanks for the replies. The first and last photos look ok, although the finish is not shiny. But is the solder joint shown in the second photo normal? its eggshell surface does not give me the impression of a good solder joint.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Hi all,

When soldering SMD components, it is a bad practice to leave the pads visible (as shown in the photo below)?
View attachment 110795

Also, is it normal for high temperature solder not to be shiny (as shown in the photo below)?
View attachment 110797 View attachment 110798 View attachment 110800
Are these solder joints any good, or will they cause intermittent problems?

Thanks in advance.
One school of thought suggests if the components are too well soldered, thermal expansion can cause fractures - the opposite view is that the fractures will happen in the solder if the fillets are a bit thin.

Moderation is the name of the game, like anything; there's always compromises.

Some of the solder in the image looks a bit thin, but I'd examine closely with light an magnifier, and only fix the ones that are broken.

The definition of "broken" is any evidence of hairline fracture.

Lead free solder usually looks like dry joints anyway - so that isn't necessarily a criteria.

SLK001

Joined Nov 29, 2011
The joints in the second photo look slighly cold. Make sure that you use adequate flux when creating the joints.

Why are you using high temp solder?

Is that a gold finish on your pads? If so, what is its thickness?