SMD ribon cable soldering

electronis whiz

Joined Jul 29, 2010
i have been working on a LCD monitor it apers to have 2 bad ribbon wires from the screen to the controler for it. i put solder on the pads after cleaning them off then figured put wire over heat and it would be fixed. however i have tryed heating them with varying sizes of solder iron with not much luck getting it to solder. i know sombody with smd tools to do it but wont see him for a while, he has a special IR lamp that is temp controled in order to melt the solder. so i was thinking maybey somthing like a heat gun or a small gas torch near it. this is hard to solder because the ribbon is a thin plastic with wires in it and plastic between the solders at the end of the wire and the outside. it has to melt the solder but not hurt the plastic so far none of my atempts have done anything to the plastic so it seems to be prety hight temp tolarance. not sure the IR light would even do it because thers plastic between the solders and where it would be.

Mongrel_Shark

Joined May 30, 2012
I sometimes put an old iron tip in a torch flame, (with pliers!) you can get it a bit hotter than you need to melt solder, but thermal mass of tip alone is low. So heat doesn't travel too far. Hopefully. Good luck getting it to stay tinned, though that might not be necessary..

Also you need extra flux for SMD work. Almost sounds to me as if you are not using enough flux. Try applying some liberally to the offending wires...

My only other thought is Heat-sink clip. between the bit you want to get hot and the bot you don't want hot.

You can use a stove top if you don't have a torch, Just don't let your wife catch you doing it

If you don't build a box, you don't have to learn how to think outside it...

electronis whiz

Joined Jul 29, 2010
i used rosin core solder, that may help with the wires though. i actily thought electronics didnt even use flux because of the solder had it. until i got a solder gun at a yard sale with flux and alot of solder.
(i don't have a wife or girlfriend there all trouble and expensive. i'm probley too nerdey for most anyways)