SMD Power Inductor Identification

l8ncb

Joined Sep 15, 2010
Hi Everyone, hope I can tap into the knowledge on this site to help find a replacement component on a damaged laptop motherboard that I have.

I have identified the part as a Power Inductor but am not familiar with the markings on the component '100 0839V'. I have some other motherboards with an identically sized component with markings '100 06188' and wondered if that could be used? Alternatively, if you could point me in the direction of the right component, I would very much appreciate it.

Sorry if I am being thick, but although I am good with a soldering Iron, I am not too good in reading and identifying component parts :(

Thanks for reading.

P.S. I have tried to attach a picture of the damaged part ... hope it works OK!!

Attachments

timrobbins

Joined Aug 29, 2009
Most likely 100uH - the other numbers being batch type info - but I could be wildly off. The wire thickness looks huge for an smt, so it may just be 10uH but at quite a few amp.

What's the problem with the part?

l8ncb

Joined Sep 15, 2010
Thanks for your reply.

The problem with the part is the damage ... the laptop was brought to me as the owner had tried to replace what he though was the CMOS battery and so tried to lever it out with a screwdriver! This has broken the component as can be seen in the picture and the laptop battery will no longer charge.

If the other number is just the batch number, then I should be OK fitting an identically looking component that also has the '100' stamp on it - right?

marshallf3

Joined Jul 26, 2010
I'd also agree that it was a 100 uH power inductor and equal physical size probably means about the same current rating which, by your scale, would be pretty high.