SMD Part S/N identification

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Hello AAC!

A friend of mine owns the Razer Chimaera headset. He accidentally connected the wrong wallwart and the magic smoke came out.

I opened it up and here's the pictures of the interface and power board. The original wallwart outputs 5V @ 2A.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/8286935/Razer Chimaera 002.JPG
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/8286935/Razer Chimaera 003.JPG
(Link so that I don't have to downsize the pictures)

On the right side you can see a blown up diode. It writes on it "100 6W".
That's the only damaged part I can see.

Can we come up with an S/N, or I can present it as is and hope for a knowledgeable employee at the local shop?

Joined Nov 30, 2010
That's not a diode. It's a capacitor. 100uf@6volts

you also have 2 pieces in the middle (with heat sinks) that look like they exploded.
They look much better in the second photo.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Are you sure about the 6volts? It's pretty clear that it writes 6W. Or am I interpreting it wrong?

If you are talking about the two 1cm wide elements right of the ribbon, they're vertical push buttons with metal casing, so no worries there.

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
You should probe the circuit and find out whether it is across the supply or in series. If it was in series, then it is a diode, if it was in parallel with the supply then it could be both a capacitor or an anti parallel diode to prevent reverse voltage.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Basically my concern is whether my local supplier will recognize the device or I 'll have to come up with an S/N. I guess on Monday we will know.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
It turned out to be a 100μF @ 6V tantalum electrolytic capacitor (or that's what the employee told me). I replaced it with an normal one, as the SMD would require ordering, and the module seems to work now.

Kudos to #12.