smd component id

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by aleeeeaaa, Apr 25, 2016.

1. aleeeeaaa

Thread Starter New Member

Apr 25, 2016
    I need to identify a smd component on a camera power board. I have 5.5 battery voltage going into it but nothing coming out to feed the circuit. Not sure what it is. Its black and the only marking on it looks like the letter y. Any ideas? Its the first component that the battery voltage goes through before going to the rest of the circuit.

2. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    To start..post a clear picture of the circuit board showing the component and surrounding area.

3. aleeeeaaa

Thread Starter New Member

Apr 25, 2016
    3.png

4. Roderick Young

Feb 22, 2015
    From the description, it might be a fuse of some kind. The picture is too small for me to see. If you have a way of taking a higher resolution picture and cropping to a view of just the component, that would help. I assume there are no printed letters near the component like "R3," "D2," or "F1", etc.? Those "reference designators" on the silkscreen, if any, are a huge clue.

5. Dodgydave

Distinguished Member

Jun 22, 2012
    If its in series with the supply, its possibly an inductor, diode, or fuse, take a better picture and look for any pcb markings.

6. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    need better picture... can't see the chip well enough

7. Lestraveled

May 19, 2014
    Yes, the picture is to small to see any detail on the part. The picture must be close enough and clear enough to read any printing on top of the part.