Smart UPS Line Intellegent

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/Tripp-Lite-Smart-Pro-3000VA-Rackmount-UPS-2U-Line-Interactive-3kVA/282382.aspx?RecommendedForEDC=271879&RecoType=RP&cm_sp=Product-_-Session&ProgramIdentifier=3

Ok, I have some high price items I'm trying to protect. I'll need something else to protect the network in this particular Cabinet, this unit doesn't have protection for network devices, only power protection.

The total on the UPS I figured the 3000VA which is 25amps. My total consumption of the devices in the rack is 23.34 amps, which is below the rated amperage of the UPS, I won't be using backup power supply from the batteries, I only want it to shut down in an emergency or help guard against Spikes and Browns.

I figure the outlets on the Surge side will be the division of 25amps to the 3 outlets? If I'm wrong let me know. However, I'll have

Out 1 = 7.75a

Out 2 = 8.3a

Out 3= 7.29a

If feel I'm cutting it to close, let me know what you think? I would like some input to make sure of this before my purchase. I'll need 2 of these to cover 2 racks with the same equipment.

Thanks,

kv

Last edited:

PackratKing

Joined Jul 13, 2008
I won't be using backup power supply from the batteries, I only want it to shut down in an emergency or help guard against Spikes and Browns.
In the event of a power failure, or deep enough brownout, you want those batteries there, to give you enough time to shut everything down in panic mode... Isn't that the idea behind a UPS ??

No power outage I've ever seen had any respect for life of your backup batteries...

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
In the event of a power failure, or deep enough brownout, you want those batteries there, to give you enough time to shut everything down in panic mode... Isn't that the idea behind a UPS ??

No power outage I've ever seen had any respect for life of your backup batteries...
Sorry about that, I failed to mention this is AV Equipment and Video Teleconferencing Codec, not network or computers, they aren't that smart. That's why I need a good UPS to do the thinking. These devices can be powered down without issue, all I want it for is to open the Mains under a condition of 90v or if no voltage. Otherwise if a voltage is variable to stabilize it.

If the power goes completely out. I want it to open the relay's the line voltage until reset. Right now we're just on surge protection, but lately the Voltage in the building is questionable.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010

Ok, this is what was about my idea in another forum, but it looks very different from my earlier idea of what can be put on the unit. I thought it was 3 and 3 and 1, it's not. I guess I have mixed up a different model in my search, that's why I'm here.

Another Forum said:
The spec says:

Built-in UPS output receptacles:8 5-15/20R outlet(s); 1 L5-30R outlet(s)
Built-in controllable switched load banks:Two switchable single-outlet load banks
Output circuit breaker:Two 20A output breakers protect 4 5-15/20R outlets each

So there are 2 groups of 4 receptacles, including one that is switched.

3000VA is the total capacity of the UPS. So you can use any combination of outlets as long as the total load doesn't exceed 3000VA.
However, since the outlets are divided between two 20A breakers (4 outlets each), you have to consider that when connecting equipment.
As a guideline, if you divide the load evenly, then you can connect up to 12.5A per group of 4 outlets.

So with the numbers you listed:

Out 1 = 7.75a
Out 2 = 8.3a
Out 3= 7.29
You'll be able to connect any two to one outlet group, and the third to the other outlet group.
So, I have 2 groups of 4 outlets switchable banks 12.5 each and one switchable 1 L5-30R = 9 outlets total, the other 8 are normal 110v outlets.

One group 4 is the Surge conditioning, Brown or Black. The other group of 4 is the Battery Backup Bank.

I have done a little thinking and the choice is to put the most expensive equipment on the Battery Bank. However the load's are very costly and would eat up the Battery's in short order, 8.3a or as little as 4 amps depending on time of day.

Some equipment is shut of at night and others are on all the time, I will just have to pick my best equipment against time of day and weigh the consequence.

Looks like it's time to talk to their engineers, I'm ready to move forward with a little consulting.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
The User Manual.....http://www.tripplite.com/shared/product-pages/en/SMART3000RM2U.pdf

I had it wrong, both banks of outlets are on the backup battery's, with one outlet that can be turned off or on.

The Pro to this thing is it can be monitored from the Net and also has Network, the Con is that they have glitchy web interphase and installation of the Cards them selfs are un-professional. All be it I'd rather have an "AVR" over anything else.