Smart Phones

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by ronv, Aug 11, 2015.

1. ronv

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Nov 12, 2008
    My wife wants a smart phone so she can e-mail pictures to her friends. :rolleyes:
    Now I confess, I think I'm in love with siri, but $600 & $100 a month seems a little steep for someone you can only talk to.:D
    I haven't done any research - shame one me - but I thought some of you might be able to steer me in a better direction. I have heard about 1 plan where the $100 a month includes the phone(s).
    Any help is appreciated!

2. tjohnson

Dec 23, 2014
    I use a Samsung Galaxy S3 with FreedomPop. They have a free plan with 200 minutes, 500 texts, and 500 MB per month, and a $5 monthly plan that offers more. Since I have WiFi access most of the time, I get along fine with the free plan. They only sell refurbished older models like the Galaxy S3 for ~$100, Galaxy $4 for ~$200, the iPhone 4 and 5, and some simpler LG phones, but you can also buy a compatible phone on eBay and BYOD.

I expect that this is a cheaper option than what you're looking for, but since you asked I thought I'd mention it anyway. I'll warn you that their customer service is horrible, and unless you use a Google Voice number, you also have to pay $2.49 a month if you want voicemail.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
    DerStrom8 likes this.
  3. Lestraveled

May 19, 2014
    My wife is the smart phone guru. We use Verizon mainly because of the coverage in the most desolate of areas between Tucson and Nevada. We have a limited data plan of about 10 gig a month shared between two smart phones. This is enough for all the photos you would ever have to share. Do you have WiFi at your house? Your smart phones will use it instead of your data plan. There are three phones on the account, 2 smart and one talk/text, 10 gig data plan total bill per month is $170.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
  4. Brownout

Jan 10, 2012
    I have the same plan for the same reason. Can't stand Verison, but can't coverage I need with any other carrier. my 10G of data disappears pretty fast. At the end of each month, I have to go an an internet diet.

5. Lestraveled

May 19, 2014
    I forgot to say that there is also a tablet on the plan. I am the one with the talk/text only flip (dumb) phone, and I am quite happy with it.

6. tracecom

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 16, 2010
    Check out Consumer Cellular. Less than $60 per month for more talk and text than I need, and a little data. Includes two phones, one smart and one flip, both of which I bought for less than $200 total. Uses the ATT network.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    I have a stupid phone from Consumer Cellular. My sister added it to her account for $10/month.
    I barely use it, but I keep it in my pocket at all times in case of emergency, like when I hit a chunk of 2x4 and ripped a tire at 10 PM or my back went bad and I was in, "Help, I've fallen and I can't get up".
    ps, I'm pretty much back to normal now! I did so much work in the last two days that I'm going to have to take a day off just because I'm tired. :)
    It's pretty strange phoning people from a Kentucky prefix when I live in Florida.
    I show up on their caller ID as, "Cell Phone Ky". :p

8. ronv

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Nov 12, 2008
    Yes, Verizon works best where we are as well. Last night I started looking at there site. Now I am confused.:(
    Right now at home I have cable tv, internet and phone all bundled for about $100 a month so it pains me to pay another $100 a month for a phone that will probably end up being used as much as the little flip phone that I pay $100 a year for and still have 75% of my minutes left at the end of the year. But if that is what it takes it's what it takes I guess.
    Maybe I can get an Iphone 5 for a couple of years and see how it goes.
    My land line (cable line) is basically free so I can't really get rid of it and save anything.

9. djsfantasi

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 11, 2010
    $100 a month for Verizon Wireless? I am on a family plan with 10Gb of data shared amongst four people, and each of us are paying about $40/month. Talk to a real person (do you have retail Verizon stores?). I have found them to be very helpful. More helpful than the cable support people.

10. DerStrom8

Feb 20, 2011
    I also have a Galaxy S3 I bought used (though in immaculate condition) for $120. I use Ting (pay for what you use). My bill is generally $21/month. My old phone was an original Galaxy S and wasn't supported by FreedomPop, so I opened a Ting account and never thought to look back at FreedomPop when I upgraded. My phone is a Sprint device, but Sprint service up in the boondocks (Fairlee, VT) is very spotty. I'm thinking of selling this S3 and buying an S4 with Verizon (much more reliable in my area).

EDIT: I just checked, FreedomPop is not available in my area.