Small gauge wire / connecters

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by dezweb52, Jan 24, 2014.

1. dezweb52

Thread Starter New Member

Oct 12, 2011
    Hello,
    In a bit of a pickle at the moment. Long story, but I'll cut to the chase. I have an LVDS cable from an old Chromebook that I got from a friend. Some of the wires have broken away from the connector end and I'm wondering if anyone can help find solder-able connectors (40 pin I believe) or if I can get it fixed or if I would be best off trying to find both connectors and making a new cable.

My only two other options is to bin it (I really like the wee machine and dont want to do that) or get a vga to LVDS converter and wire it up, probably is, I don't have room in the machine to fit a converter board.

Any input from you guys. I've posted a couple of pictures of the connector at both ends, just in case you know of somewhere I could reclaim one from a different make of machine.

Thanks in advance!

2. dezweb52

Oct 12, 2011
    No dice unfortunately. There are solder pads but they are really fine. Really frustrating as the rest of the Machine is fine, and is hate to give up on it.... Can you buy these connectors? Or maybe solder Onto the LCD itself? (I'd rather not...)

3. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
  4. dezweb52

Oct 12, 2011
    Hi. I have investigated these cables from eBay but problem is that the device is googles prototype and getting parts are really difficult as you have to wait until someone takes their one apart, and that is usually limited to America... Really frustrating as I am indeed in the uk. Might have to go with getting a VGA to lvds converter. :(

5. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    So the one I linked to is no good?

6. dezweb52

Oct 12, 2011
    Unfortunately not :( The end that plugs into the motherboard is the wrong type.

Whilst opening the shielding yesterday to see if I could solder on, some of the grounding wires have come loose too. So even if I could solder it, it probably wouldn't work any more anyway unless I got the grounding pins soldered in the correct place.

All in all rather frustrating.