Small Community, Large Community

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Brownout, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Brownout

Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2012
    Well, I've posted a couple questions about FPGA development on the embedded forum. Although it isn't the best place to ask such questions, a few members have enough interest to at least attempt to give an answer. Configuring and using programmable devices might be considered too specialized for a general community such as ours. But that also makes it more difficult to get answers on a small, specialized community like the Xilinx FPGA fourms. I've been posting my questions for weeks now, and the response has been dissapointing. Just about half of my questions dont' get any response at all, and the rest get cursory responses. The "experts" aren't any more helpful than the all-around folks in our community, even less so. Either they are less willing to share their knowledge, or the community is just too small to expect much good from. The group here is large enough and motivated enough that I can almost always count on good suggestions.

PS: I intended to post ths in the "Off-Topic" forum. My bad!

2. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    The membership here on AAC is so large and with greater activity you will probably get more satisfactory responses here than on a specialty forum.

3. tshuck

Oct 18, 2012
    I'd imagine the "experts"on the Xilinx forums are really just a few not-terribly-important people to the company, as the real experts would be put to use doing other stuff that's more pertinent to the company. The people here, however, are here of their own free will and bring their experiences and ideas with them. Having such a broad forum gives better chances that someone had done something similar to what you want, or at least be familiar enough with the products/company that they might be able to give decent suggestions.

I am convinced we have a pretty good thing going here...