small car engine into a generator / powerplant

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by HBarker, Jul 17, 2010.

1. HBarker

Thread Starter New Member

Sep 20, 2009
    OK,, I know we may have touched on this subject in the past , however I cant get it out of my mind..
    I have 2 small cars that have been wrecked.
    95 and 97 geo prisms.
    They both have 1.8 liter 4 bangers one has auto trans the other a 5 speed.. heres my crazy idea.
    slice the car up a little leaving the front end only..
    Remove the A/c compressor and the power steering pump and add 2 good alt's in there place,,
    Its front wheel drive.. So take the tires off the rims,, run big belts off each front wheel to PTO type gen heads from harbor freight..
    Crank it up and find the right gear and rev to reach proper RPM for the PTO gen heads.,, shouldnt be to hard or fast??

So wouldnt this little car run like ,for a LONG time on a tank of fuel ?

Any Ideas or input welcome..

Is this over kill? I cant get it out of my mind and hate to take those cars to the scrap yard....

I think they have the same motor as a Toyota Corolla

2. Bernard

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 7, 2008
    Sounds simple but there will always be complications. I would eleminate everything past the crank shaft, & would settle for one alternator 7500W, unless the extra power is really needed. Would use double V belt drive with 1: 1.8 step up to give 3600 RPM @ 2000 engine speed. Depending on load, might get about 1 hr per gallon- pure guess.

3. corsasri

Jul 20, 2010
    sell the car engine and buy a genarator with the cash

4. Bernard

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 7, 2008
    A better choice.

5. windoze killa

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 23, 2006
    That takes all the fun out of it.

Go for it. Sounds fun. And I agree with Bernard, why 2 alternators? You aren't driving lights or anything else. You wil just be charging the starter battery.

6. HBarker

Thread Starter New Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Yes the fun of it all eh,,

I figured the existing alt could run plenty of 12v lighting while the 2 other alt's
    could be charging banks of fork lift batteries for later inverted ac power when gen not in use. .
    And when she is running thought it could very easily drive 2 10,500 gen heads for a total of 21kw.. hell could run my central a/c fridge and freezer off that? Just thinkin out loud,,,,,,
    Those 10kw gen heads required 18hp,, hmm