Small Audio Playback Machine

z0oinks

Joined Sep 12, 2012
How many different sounds/messages do you want?

How about this one? Five buttons, five different sounds. Doesn't use a SD card, but it does get decent quality using USB. You used a similar one on your last project.
Maybe two or three different audio files?
He thing with that is that it comes pre-made, and I want to actually assemble this

elec_mech

Joined Nov 12, 2008
How much hands-on do you want to get? As others have stated, building this from the ground up is not for the faint of heart. If you don't want an entirely commercially off the shelf (COTS) solution, then your best bet is to get a module designed to interface with a microcontroller (uC) and program it to do your bidding.

The Sparkfun module pointed out earlier should work. It does not appear to play mp3's directly, but rather .wav or .ad4 files which you can convert mp3's to. I could not immediately determine if you can tell it to play a specific file or not. I would assume so, but I'd contact Sparkfun to verify before purchasing.

Having an interest in mp3 projects, I've been looking at several solutions since you posted this thread and found something that might be ideal. This module plays mp3's directly from an SD card and you can have a uC play specific files on demand. The fact that is $10 USD is also appealing. Unfortunately, they seem to be out of stock often, but I contacted them and I've been told these will be in stock in about a week. I've seen them mentioned on Arduino forums along with other uC's.

On the subject of uC's, I personally like the PICAXE. It's cheap to get started, the software is free, and it can interface to the module I mentioned above. What I really like about is it uses BASIC to program which, and I can't stress enough this is strictly my opinion, is easier to learn than C (used by Arduino). Of course, thousands use the Arduino, so it can't be too difficult either.

z0oinks

Joined Sep 12, 2012
Having an interest in mp3 projects, I've been looking at several solutions since you posted this thread and found something that might be ideal. This module plays mp3's directly from an SD card and you can have a uC play specific files on demand. The fact that is $10 USD is also appealing. Unfortunately, they seem to be out of stock often, but I contacted them and I've been told these will be in stock in about a week. I've seen them mentioned on Arduino forums along with other uC's.

On the subject of uC's, I personally like the PICAXE. It's cheap to get started, the software is free, and it can interface to the module I mentioned above. What I really like about is it uses BASIC to program which, and I can't stress enough this is strictly my opinion, is easier to learn than C (used by Arduino). Of course, thousands use the Arduino, so it can't be too difficult either.
This sounds fantastic! Should I start to learn BASIC now or is it easy to pick up on-the-fly?

elec_mech

Joined Nov 12, 2008
What is your target deadline?

If time is of the essence, then I'd suggest getting started now so you can learn how it works and do simple things like blink an LED, etc. From there you can map out with a basic flowchart what it is you want the circuit to do and beginning writing code for it. If you have this ready by the time the MP3 module arrives, you can just focus on getting that to work properly. One key to programming, especially starting out, is to focus on getting just one task to work then move to the next. We are often tempted to put everything together at once and try it out, but doing this adds considerably to debugging time since there are a number of reasons something isn't working.

All that said, if time is not of the essence, I can probably lay the groundwork and give you a program to start from, but I won't be able to start until a month from now. I'd need about two weeks, so I could have a circuit design and code for you to work from by the end of March, if you can wait that long.

elec_mech

Joined Nov 12, 2008
July? Oh yes, that's very doable. I'll need one month to finish a current project, but after that I can help out. In the meantime, can you provide details on how you'd like this to function? Perhaps a rough drawing of what you have in mind? Does it need to do anything else - turn on a motor, LEDs, etc.?

What will activate the different sound files, e.g., mechanical switch, other? Since we're talking PICAXE, you can use a touch sensor if you like. In essence, it's a piece of metal that can go behind another material and act as a switch when someone's finger is over it. You can also cut the metal into a shape and paint it (color or clear coat) and use that as your switch. I did this with a piece of brass I cut into a small bat symbol that turns on a bat symbol nightlight I made.

z0oinks

Joined Sep 12, 2012
What will activate the different sound files, e.g., mechanical switch, other? Since we're talking PICAXE, you can use a touch sensor if you like. In essence, it's a piece of metal that can go behind another material and act as a switch when someone's finger is over it. You can also cut the metal into a shape and paint it (color or clear coat) and use that as your switch. I did this with a piece of brass I cut into a small bat symbol that turns on a bat symbol nightlight I made.
That sounds really neat, actually! That definitely sounds like what I'll do.

As for other functions, would it be possible to include a small LCD that played a slideshow of pictures?

elec_mech

Joined Nov 12, 2008
As for other functions, would it be possible to include a small LCD that played a slideshow of pictures?
Hmm, this could be extremely easy or complex depending on what you want to do.

Simplest: Take a cheap digital photo frame (small as a keychain or big as a monitor) and simply attach it to your project.

Intermediate: Same as above but have it controlled with the PICAXE. The PICAXE could control power to it (so you can use a touch sensor to turn the display on and off) and/or the rate the photos are displayed.

Complex: Have the PICAXE show a specific picture when a certain button is pressed. I'd have to research this, but it would require a special and probably small display that would not be cheap relative to the other options.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
With this, would there be a way to set different buttons to plat specified audio files. Such that button 1 plays audio 1, audio 2 plays audio 2, and so on? Or does it only allow skipping forward and backwards?
Like I said, read the data sheet from the link I sent. It will do exactly what you want. And play from SD cards.

elec_mech

Joined Nov 12, 2008
The intermediate option sounds the best
What size is best or, rather, what is the minimum and maximum size you'd be willing to work with? These range from 1.5" to well over 10".

Also, don't forget to let us know what specifically you'd like to have. Again, a simple drawing would be helpful showing us what you have in mind. Examples include the total number of buttons and what you want each one to do, e.g., five play a specific sound file, one turns on the picture frame, another turns on lights, etc., will this be battery-powered or wall-powered, space constraints, and so on. The more thought and detail you put in up front, the better.

We get some projects that morph drastically because an OP didn't put a lot of thought into their initial requirements. So certainly take your time and think it out, but let us know everything you'd like, how'd like it to work, etc. when you can.

z0oinks

Joined Sep 12, 2012
I think between 4-6 inches would work, with the bulk of the size coming from the screen. I don't want the screen to be too small where she has to hold it up to her face to see it, but I don't want the entire device to be too big where it becomes a burden to use.

I hoped this would run on (an internal rechargable?) battery.

Picture got rotated when I uploaded it, sorry for the inconvenience!

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
I think you have a likely career ahead as a product manager. You have clearly mastered the art of project creep. :)

Bob

elec_mech

Joined Nov 12, 2008
Sorry, yes, the big event I was preparing for is over, so I've got some time now. Got another event coming up, but it isn't as time-consuming.

I've been periodically looking for deals on displays. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find any displays in the 4"-6" range. Most seem to be 7" or larger or pocket-sized. Would a 7" or 8" display work?

I purchased a few of the MP3 modules I mentioned earlier. I haven't put a circuit together, but I'm getting there. The module has a very low output voltage meaning it can drive a set of headphones okay, but requires an amplifier to hear much through speakers - at least as far as I've read up on it. I'll know more once I get a circuit together.

Based on your drawing, is the following correct?

1. Three buttons to control the display - slideshow/pause, forward, back
  2. An on/off button for the display
  3. Four audio buttons - each button plays a specific track

Is there anything else? Do you want certain tracks played with certain pictures? If the pictures and audio will always be controlled separately, you may not need a microcontroller as you can use the buttons on the display and (I think) control the MP3 module directly by adding some buttons. Of course, you can use the microcontroller to control the display and MP3 module with touch sensors, so there is that.

We need to nail down how you want this to work, but in the meantime you can look for a digital photo display.

Some that might be worth a look here and here.

When looking at displays, keep these things in mind:
  • Screen resolution (800 x 600 is going to look much better than 480 x 234)
  • How hard/easy is it to disassemble to get to the buttons (PCB)?
  • Do the button controls work the way you want? Slideshow, forward, back, etc.
  • Are photos stored on internal memory or SD card? The latter will allow you to quickly change them on the fly without having to move the display next to a computer.

Might be best to go to a store that has these on display so you can "see" how the pictures look and how easy the controls are to operate.

I will focus on the MP3 player and microcontroller circuit. Once you get a display, carefully take it apart so you can access the PCB the buttons are attached to. If unsure, post some pictures of the display and we can give you some advice. Once the PCB is exposed, post some pictures of it, front and back, and we'll advise you on where to solder wires. You'll need a soldering iron with a fine tip and thin solder along with some small diameter wires. If you have an unused telephone cord, you can strip it to get some small wires which will be perfect for this.

Which of the following do you have?
  • Solderless breadboard
  • Jumper wires
  • LEDs
  • Assorted resistors
  • Push button switches

You may be able to start programming shortly so you can get familiar with it, but knowing what you have will give me a better idea of what to recommend.

z0oinks

Joined Sep 12, 2012
Awesome, thanks!

For the buttons, that is correct. Also, there should be a button to turn off the whole device

The pictures don't need to correspond to the music. I planned on just having them cycle, but with the ability to pause and go back and forth (hence the three picture buttons)

For the screen, the one from Walmart looks good, isn't too expensive, and uses SD cards, but I'll keep an eye out for smaller ones, as she'll probably take this to bed. The difficulty of disassembling things shouldn't be much of problem since I do it so much to all my stuff :)

Out of that list, I have a soldering iron with fine tip and the small diameter wires. I do have an Adafruit Perma-Proto 1/2 Size Breadboard that came with my iron, but it's not solderless. I guess it's time to start investing in more items!...

EDIT: How about this screen? http://www.amazon.com/Coby-DP356BLK-3-5-Inch-Digital-Photo/dp/B0036MDUKQ

Last edited:

elec_mech

Joined Nov 12, 2008
The reviews are a little iffy, but it looks like many complaints are regarding what someone wants it to do, not necessarily a failing of the product itself.

Would that display by itself (since it plays MP3's), do everything you want? Or do you want to customize it in some way like put it in a case you design or use different buttons?

z0oinks

Joined Sep 12, 2012
Didn't even realize it played music. But yeah, that'll do, but I would definitely want to custom make the case and the buttons

elec_mech

Joined Nov 12, 2008
Looks like it only plays music in slideshow mode, so I doubt you can select specific tracks, but who knows?

So do you want to make and use your own touch switches for the controls or purchase specific switches? I'd suggest a toggle switch or similar to switch power on and off, but I think the rest can be done with touch sensors if you'd like.

z0oinks

Joined Sep 12, 2012
Hm, I guess we'll find out. It does have next/previous buttons, so those can always be used

How would I make the touch buttons?