Small Audio Playback Machine

z0oinks

Joined Sep 12, 2012
For me and my girlfriend's second year anniversary, I want to make something special for her. Due to my horrible sleeping habits and busy hours, I end up either falling asleep way before she does or am too busy to call her before she falls asleep.

For this project, I would like to just have a device that would play back an audio file (stored on microSD) that I've previously recorded for her to listen to. I know there are numerous devices on the market that do this already, but its more fun (for me) and more special (for her) if I make it myself.

I can't imagine this being terribly complicated, but if someone could lend a hand on what exactly I would need and how I would get started, it would be very much appreciated.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
What is your skill level? Playing back audio is surprisingly hard. Not just the playing back but the recording (or downloading) of the audio data too, you have to design a full system to record AND playback data. Or a system to download and playback data.

You best option is to google for "small cheap sound playback module" and that will do the hard stuff, then you can build all the other stuff like the enclosure and control buttons etc. You would still be "building it yourself".

z0oinks

Joined Sep 12, 2012
I would say I'm a pretty moderate builder (5/10?).
However, I don't want the device to be able to record audio, just play it. I would have already recorded a message and put it on a (micro) sd card, which would be put into the device.

Do you still think that's too hard?

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Well for starters you are going to need something to read the SD card, interpret the read data, convert digital to analogue, and amplify the result. It's not going to be simple and will involve a microcontroller (MCU). What are your programming skills?

z0oinks

Joined Sep 12, 2012
None....I guess I'll do what was suggested about buying the main board and building the case

EDIT: Or do you think this'll be a good opportunity to learn?

Last edited:

Electric Al

Joined Nov 6, 2013
For me and my girlfriend's second year anniversary, I want to make something special for her. Due to my horrible sleeping habits and busy hours, I end up either falling asleep way before she does or am too busy to call her before she falls asleep.

For this project, I would like to just have a device that would play back an audio file (stored on microSD) that I've previously recorded for her to listen to. I know there are numerous devices on the market that do this already, but its more fun (for me) and more special (for her) if I make it myself.

I can't imagine this being terribly complicated, but if someone could lend a hand on what exactly I would need and how I would get started, it would be very much appreciated.

Just tap her on the shoulder , and say goodnight!

SmileyLaughing2Tears.gif

Shagas

Joined May 13, 2013
If your programming/MCU skills are non existant then you have no chance of doing this.
If you really want to do 'build it yourself' then I suggest look up a similar project made with Arduino (type in google something like "Arduino sound playback micro sd...." . It's likely to exist and source code/schematics are likely to exist for it aswell.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
If you are buying from them I think they also sell a tiny standalone sound playback module that doesn't need an arduino. :)

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010

For this project, I would like to just have a device that would play back an audio file (stored on microSD) that I've previously recorded for her to listen to. I know there are numerous devices on the market that do this already, but its more fun (for me) and more special (for her) if I built it myself.
I think the answers have gotten very complex. Can you remind me what level of DIY is acceptable? As someone mentioned, even using a module requires providing power, selection buttons, recording the personal messages, etc.

What do you want to trigger the messages? That circuit may be easier and provide the satisfaction if DIY. For example, Sparkfun has a module that can play back that provides multiple modes. One is key input that selects one of five messages to play. You could design and build a circuit with one push button that randomly plays one of the messages. No MCU or programming required.

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11125

Or you could design and build a circuit that sequentially plays from a list of messages.

I like the former idea myself. Read the data sheet from the link above.

Last edited:

z0oinks

Joined Sep 12, 2012
I think the answers have gotten very complex. Can you remind me what level of DIY is acceptable? As someone mentioned, even using a module requires providing power, selection buttons, recording the personal messages, etc.

What do you want to trigger the messages? That circuit may be easier and provide the satisfaction if DIY. For example, Sparkfun has a module that can play back that provides multiple modes. One is key input that selects one of five messages to play. You could design and build a circuit with one push button that randomly plays one of the messages. No MCU or programming required.

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11125

Or you could design and build a circuit that sequentially plays from a list of messages.

I like the former idea myself. Read the data sheet from the link above.
With this, would there be a way to set different buttons to plat specified audio files. Such that button 1 plays audio 1, audio 2 plays audio 2, and so on? Or does it only allow skipping forward and backwards?

elec_mech

Joined Nov 12, 2008
How many different sounds/messages do you want?

How about this one? Five buttons, five different sounds. Doesn't use a SD card, but it does get decent quality using USB. You used a similar one on your last project.