Small Amplifier Board Repair Guidance - 20160902

Fred von Stein

Joined Sep 2, 2016
I have a Klipsch Promedia amplifier board that I am repairing.

It was the EXACT same issue as posted here : http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/threads/small-amplifier-board-repair-guidance.99973/

That thread is closed so I am posting my question here. One thing that was mentioned was that on the actual amplifier board R18 and R19 are silkscreened on the board, but empty - they only have a jumper wire. In a schematic that was made way back in 2008/2009, the schematic showed 0 ohm - 5W.

One comment from the previous linked discussion had a post from a user that said
Obviously the original design had emitter resistors on the output stage. Some production person probably complained the amp was 50 cents over budget and the engineer was forced to cut costs.
Another person said
Honestly, if I had the board in my shop, I'd probably add those resistors. In addition to being a very convenient place to check the actual running bias of the output devices, they also aid current sharing between the TIP-41 and the TIP-42...it's easier to get both transistors biased correctly at the same time if they're there.
Since I am ordering some components from Digikey, I was interested in determine how I would bias the output, and how to determine what I might order to place in this location?

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
Normally, the R18, R19 will use as 0.22Ω/5W, if the power of amplifier is more less then it could be 0.5Ω/5W.
Since the R18, R19 had connected to the jumper, can you find any resistor as 0.22Ω/5W or 0.5Ω/5W?

You can also to buy the mje3055T and mje2955T to replace TIP41C and TIP42C on this circuit.