Slow down Servo Motor

Discussion in 'Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers' started by listedunlisted, Apr 15, 2010.

1. listedunlisted

Thread Starter New Member

Apr 15, 2010
    How do I slow down a servo motor using Matlab? I am using a HS-422 servo motor. Similarly the other servo motors are HS-755HB, HS-645MG.

I am using Matlab to move the servo motors by sending in the ASCII codes. But its way too fast. I need help to slow down the servo motors. How do I do it?

Somebody's help will be appreciated.

Thank you

2. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    There are two ways for slowing hobby servos that I know of:

1) Divide each command into several separate, incremental commands, thus increasing the time to complete the initial command; and
    2) Increase the off time of between control pulses.

The first method would allow the servo to be slowed to any speed, but it may lead to jerkyness and is dependent on the precision with which the servo can track the signal. I have not personally tried the second method, but I suspect there will be practical limits to how slow you can go (i.e., how long you can make the off time) and still have the servo respond appropriately.

3. listedunlisted

Thread Starter New Member

Apr 15, 2010
    I can do that. But it will be a length process. But thanks for the idea. I never thought of that.