Slew Rate Control

jmbdr03

Joined Feb 22, 2012
Why do we need to reduce/control slew rates in ICs? i really don't know why some ICs have that feature. Thanks!

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Interesting device. I suspect the slew rate control is there to minimize ringing on the output of the DAC under certain load conditions. You did notice that the slew-rate control can be turned off.

I have not had the need to use any devices that offered slew-rate control in my 40 year circuit design career.

hgmjr

jmbdr03

Joined Feb 22, 2012
default setting is it is turned off, so if you don't do anything it will still be at it's maximum slew rate. Did you suspect that it can affect other devices through EMI?

Thanks hgmjr

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
default setting is it is turned off, so if you don't do anything it will still be at it's maximum slew rate. Did you suspect that it can affect other devices through EMI?

Thanks hgmjr
It's possible. A bigger danger is overshoot that might be higher than the voltage rating of connected components. If you have long connecting lines, that danger is greater.

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
No, not really. Rather than EMI problems, I would expect that if the slew-rate is not limited then there is likely to be ringing on the output if the load is inductive.

hgmjr

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Bus and interface drivers such as RS-232, RS-422, RS-485, USB etc. all have to control the slew rate otherwise you can have excessive ringing which can corrupt the data being transmitted. Similarly, if the output of a video DAC drives a video monitor you do not want ringing on the transitions. It doesn't matter if the load is inductive or not. If the line is not properly terminated you will get reflections.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
The problem is both, actually. Reactive loads or connecting members have a natural frequency. Typically the frequency is in the RF spectrum, and fast slew rates can excite the network, causing ringing. Long connecting lines and stray capacitance can cause ringing. Careful layout is the first line of defense. Controlling slew rate can help too.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Ok, I concede. Presumably the op is using the DAC to drive a connection cable to a capacitive load. So the problem is not as much board layout as proper cable termination.