Sleeve balun ferrite materials

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by wpri268, Jan 1, 2014.

1. wpri268

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 18, 2012
    I want to add a balun to my pennant antenna feedline to further decouple it from the antenna itself. Instead of breaking the coax to insert a balun which will only create additional loss my intent is to use ferrite beads over the coax as a sleeve balun. Research I have done about line isolating baluns says that they work because of choking action. This of course implies inductance. Many designs involve using high permeability materials like Fair-Rite #77. I find this a problem because of the complex permeability of high perm materials. Most appear resistive and not inductive at frequencies > 2MHz which makes sense since they are meant for RFI suppression.
    I have a bunch of Steward/Laird LF beads that would be perfect for my balun but this material peaks as resistive at around 4 MHz.
    Would I be wasting my time trying to use these beads?

2. wpri268

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 18, 2012
    This link is the answer to my question. LW and MW baluns must be inductive:
    http://www2.fhi.nl/hf/archief/2012/images/1.emctorfid.pdf
    The presentation does a good job of explaining how the complex permeability u' and u" of a ferrite interact as frequency changes and what they mean to selecting a proper core material. I wish I knew this before.