Sizing a Project for 5 webcams?

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by KayWarner, Jul 13, 2012.

1. KayWarner

Thread Starter New Member

Jul 13, 2012
    Hi Guys,

Thanks for taking the time to read my post.

I was wonding if anyone could point me in the direction of a hardware set-up that would be able to record 5 webcams at the same time?

I would like to set up a self contained CCTV unit which is connected to a motion sensor. So when motion is detected, all 5 webcams will switch on and record what they see. Then i'll come and retrive the data later on.

It is for a rental property that I own that is currently empty, with no wifi/internet. hence it has to be self contained.

I am OK with the programming, its just selecting hardware. I was thinking about a BIPOM Gadget PC? 4 USB's and and ARM9 Chip?

If anyone has any thoughts I would love to hear them!

Thanks, Kay Warner

2. nerdegutta

Dec 15, 2009
    Hi,

have you seen Motion?

3. KayWarner

Jul 13, 2012
    Hi nergegutta!
    Thanks you for your post,I have not seen Motion before now, it looks rather interesting!

I will certainly view it in more detail in due course.

My main issue is coming up with the hardware to handle these webcams, i would like a cheap single board with 4/5 usb's, like the Rasberry PI, Olimex range or BIPOM, but do not have a clue what to look for!

thanks so much for your post! Kay

4. BMorse

Sep 26, 2009
  5. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    +1
    You haven't given any reasons why you can't just go buy one. If the design goal is just to save money, this limits the project.

6. gerty

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 30, 2007
  7. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    yep just buy an off the shelf 8 channel DVD with motion detection and you are done.
    I've seen them for as little as $200 USD with cameras already.. (Thanks China... I guess)

Check Newegg.com (great company in case you were wondering)

There are even some where you can draw a box on the video screen to ignore that specific area for the motion detection (maybe a tree is there or something)

8. gerty

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 30, 2007
    Before you purchase one check all the specs, some of them are priced without hard drives. Some advertise "capable of using a 1 TB drive", double check that you are actually getting that drive.

9. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    yes.. good point.. hard drivers are so cheap now though. 2TB for like $120 or less

10. KayWarner

Jul 13, 2012
    Guys that is such a great response!! thank you mcgyvr, gerty, wayneh!

You are of course all correct it is vastly easier to get one off the shelf, i was meerly looking to extend my understanding a little.

I was looking to find out if there were any 'rules of thumb' in designing this kind of thing. I am a structural engineer in my day job, and we use plenty of little 'tricks' to help get roughly the correct size components where they need to be.

i was wondering if there was such a thing for electronic design.

its not about saving money at all, as i'm sure we are all aware, learning, developing and acomplishing something that we thought we perhaps couldn't is one of lifes little gems!

thanks to you all again! kay

11. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    The most common mistake you make when designing outside your area of expertise is to not leave room for expansion, or upgrades, or flexibility. A pro anticipates such things and tries to build in these options at minimal cost, even if management doesn't foresee anything past their own noses.

As soon as you install 5 cameras, you'll be asked how come there aren't 6 or 8. If you put in 1Tb of storage, they'll want 2. Put in black and white, they'll want color. Put in visible light, they'll want infra-red.

12. gerty

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 30, 2007