Six (6) pin relay

Moonstar78

Joined Jul 7, 2011
Hi everyone!!!

I am looking for a six (6) pins relay.

The upper right pin taps the upper center pin and steady the contact to the left upper pin as long as it has power source. and when turn off the upper center pin taps again from the left upper and back to normal.

Please see the illustrated sample.

Attachments

Last edited:

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Huh?

Forget the picture. Say you have terminals 1,2,3,4,5,6.

What terminals connect when de-energized?

What terminals connect when energized?

What terminals attach to the coil?

(I think you have 1 terminal too many, a SPDT relay needs but 5)

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Your description makes no sense.
From your illustration, it looks like the bottom center pin is the common terminal, that when no power is applied to the coil (bottom left and bottom right pins) connects to the upper right terminal.

Then when power is applied to the coil, the common connects to either the top center or top left pin; it is not clear which.

Relays are usually SPST-NO (1 Form A), SPST-NC (1 Form B), SPDT (1 Form C), DPST-NO (2 Form A), DPST-NC (2 Form B), or DPDT (2 Form C).
Examples: http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/4782
SP = Single Pole
DP = Double Pole/2 Poles
ST = Single Throw
DT = Double Throw
NO = Normally Open
NC = Normally Closed

Moonstar78

Joined Jul 7, 2011
Actually, i don't know if there is a kind of relay what i illustrated. What i am trying to say is. I need a "circuit switch" that will tap once the two (2) pins on my MOBO once a timer is started. Then, if the timer stop, the "circuit switch" will tap once again to turn of my unit.

I hope this would clear to you...

Thanks in advance...

Last edited:

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Gee, you are STILL not making sense.

What do you mean, it will "tap once"?
Do you mean that it will momentarily close an open connection?
And you have just two pins that need to be connected together?

Is this supposed to be an addition to your computer's On/Off switch?

Moonstar78

Joined Jul 7, 2011
It's not the sense that you are thinking. What I need is a solution to make it real.

Yup! In short i need a circuit works as a tap switch in my PC that is dependent in time thru a signal before and after.

1. A tap circuit switch that will turn ON my pc thru a signal
2. A tap circuit switch that will turn OFF my pc thru a signal. It will execute if the time is up.

That's all i need.

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
Moonstar , is this the same problem you described in the other thread "Logical Circuit switch" ? If it is it might be better to stay in the same thread, if not people and you too will get confused :D

If it's the same problem, please provide the timer and coin slot model and specs / voltages etc.

If I'm mistaken, forget what I just wrote. :)

Moonstar78

Joined Jul 7, 2011
This is the model of the coin slot acceptor that i used to digital timer

http://shukun.en.alibaba.com/product/288784137-209851251/S_R_1210_Coin_Acceptor.html

The attached image file is the digital timer.

I was thinking about the relay to serve as my tap switch. but the problem is it can't be because it will steady the contact when the was energized. It that's happen the pc with initialize and will then close due to the stable contact of the relay. I have tried add two (2) more 5 pins relay switches to play the role of a tap switch but still it won't work due to the speed of the current flow. I think i need more extra components to make the role of the relays as a tap switch.

Attachments

Moonstar78

Joined Jul 7, 2011
They are both 12vDC input. a coin acceptor send a signal to the digital timer to activate time and relay. The timer has also a dip switch that you can set a time eg 2mins., 3mins, 5mins, 10mins, and so forth. If time is up, the relay will now go back to its normal position which is normally close. I want to use the trigger of the relay use as the switch of my PC.

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
I suppose the timer has also a 12V output.

So what Moonstar wants the circuit to do is in this picture, two output pulses, one at the beginning, one at the end of the input signal.

An easy task for the fast-typers/thinkers in this forum, I guess.

Attachments

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
Tested something that came to my mind. Please feel free to correct, improve or replace it with something better. :D (it's 1am, I'm tired)

please note:

- the real circuit needs bypass caps
- if your timer output is a relay, there needs to be a debouncing circuit before the logic gate
- the signal generator on the left simulates the timer output signal 0 to 12V (I know it's not 1kHz but 10min)
- the timing RC of the 555 needs to be 100k and 22u for 2.4s output pulse width
- the output drives a small signal relay (with reverse diode) that will close the PC-On/Off button.
- noise may be a problem, so don't put it near any noise generating components

Attachments

Last edited:

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
Well try this then. Should give you 2,4s each time the input logic level changes.
You still didn't say what the output of your timer is like, but I assume it's 12V logic level. Even if it's a relay output and it bounces, this shouldn't be problematic, as the 555 could be retriggered a few more times and it still will give you only 1 output pulse of approx. 2,4s.

Put the bypass caps near the ICs, maintain short wires/traces on the trigger input.
There may be other ways to do the input inversion with the schmitt trigger, but it's the best I can think of at the moment.

Attachments

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
If time is up, the relay will now go back to its normal position which is normally close. I want to use the trigger of the relay use as the switch of my PC.
I didn't see this, so you already have a NO contact from the relay of your timer. Just connect +12V to one contact, and a resistor (e.g. 47k, doesn't really matter) to ground from the other contact. The connection from the NO contact to resistor then goes to the circuit I proposed.

Or you take the signal that drives the timer relay, if it is 5V, then you just put a simple transistor stage to increase the voltage, since in my circuit the inverter (40106) works with 12V. Or even better, you replace the inverter with a transistor driven directly by your timer circuit (without the timer relay)

if you are still needing a relay the closest thing i acn think of to your original diagram is an H bridge relay. it is a relay with 2 contactors and 2 coils in 1 unit. i think you should be able to get away with a reed relay just connect the leads of the power botton to the switch leads when timer is trigered it would trip and return back it would turn on after the time it would trbiger longer and hard shutdown the system.

i beleve an optical isilator could also do the trick. time output to resistor to led. on the photo transistor side conect the power switch. (no matter what is used unless you change the power button to imedite shut down the switch will need to be closed 6-8 SEC befor shutdown occours.

if you need it to shutdown after so long on you should be able to go into task scheduler and create a task that initiates at startup then when time is up it will shutdown. (i am not exactly sure but you may need to create a batch file for it to run to make it shutdown. toms hardware& computer hope should have somthing on it.)

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
@electronic whiz

the automatic shutdown idea is good, he could install a software like this , but I think depending on how many coins the user puts into the coin selector the time the computer stays ON has to be variable. So he would have to pass this information to the PC.

Otherwise he could just set his digital timer to 2 seconds, that would start the PC and then it shuts down after a specific, but fixed time.

Last edited: