sinusoidal oscillation HNC ELECTRONICS

iso_b

Joined Jan 8, 2008
hello ppl
i need help with sinusoidal oscillation, i need to find a block diagram off how it is acheived and a suitable example containing op amps and transistor devices. Last but not least i cant seem to find any formulae used to analyse the circuits...can you please helppp???

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
The quadrature oscillator actually produces two simultaneous outputs,
sine and cosine. These are the same wave phase shifted by 90 degrees or 'in quadrature'

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
I know what a quadrature oscillator is. My point to Papabravo is that the quadrature oscillator is one type of sinewave oscillators, out of many.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I was familiar with the terminology, and the method, from programming analog computers in my youth. I searched for "Quadrature Oscillator", found the paper, found figure 8, which the author called a quadrature oscillator, and let it go at that.

I never made anything remotely approaching a claim that it was the only kind of sinewave oscillator. I'd like you to explain why you feel that I did make such a claim. I would claim that the analysis is straightforward if you have seen the derivation of the differential equation for a spring-mass-damper or a series RLC circut.

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
I was familiar with the terminology, and the method, from programming analog computers in my youth. I searched for "Quadrature Oscillator", found the paper, found figure 8, which the author called a quadrature oscillator, and let it go at that.

I never made anything remotely approaching a claim that it was the only kind of sinewave oscillator. I'd like you to explain why you feel that I did make such a claim. I would claim that the analysis is straightforward if you have seen the derivation of the differential equation for a spring-mass-damper or a series RLC circut.
Well, Papabravo, I wasn't attacking you per se. I just didn't want readers to think that all sinusoidal oscillators were called "quadrature oscillators". The OP said,
i need help with sinusoidal oscillation
. You responded with,
This type of circuit is called a quadrature oscillator.
Where did you say that there were other types of sinewave oscillators? Now, if you had said, "quadrature oscillators are one form of sinewave oscillator", that would be accurate. However, If I were a novice reading your response, I might be inclined to think that all sinewave oscillators were quadrature oscillators.
As we learned studying Aristotelian logic, all dogs are animals, but not all animals are dogs. Before taking that class, I was confused.:D