sinking current between multiple processors

kutalinelucas

Joined Nov 20, 2007
Just a quick question really...I currently have a pic18f sending data to and from a basic stamp 2 chip over a 4 bit bus with an added enable line. I was wondering, would it be ok if 2 bs-2 chips shared the same 4 data lines but either was only activated when it's individual enable signal was high...

I'm just wondering if there would be any issues of sinking the current between processors when only one is being communicated with

Cheers

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
No problem with that scheme as long as only either the PIC or the Stamp is the "talker" at any given time.

Choose who gets to be "master," the chip drives a direction line, and who is the slave that polls for its direction. There should be some planning for delays so both devices never talk at the same time.

kutalinelucas

Joined Nov 20, 2007
fantastic, thanks for getting back to me. The chips communicate well, I was just a little concerned that the 5v logic output may be sunk by the output pins of the stamp I am not trying to access...thanks for putting my mind at rest

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Ummm... as long as only 1 of the three devices is an output on a common line all should be fine.

<chuckling> Well I think I misunderstood your first post but glad it worked.