Single Slip Wiring

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by mikeandnel, May 18, 2010.

1. mikeandnel

Thread Starter New Member

May 23, 2009
    Many of you gave me advice when I raised the original query back in May 2009 for which I thank you all.
    For one reason and another I have only recently got round to starting this wiring and have followed the advice and drawings given to the letter.
    However I still have a problem.
    The wiring system being used is standard two-wire model railway wiring.
    The idea is to have trains travelling over this single slip in any one of three directions but only one direction at a time.
    The two turnouts on the single slip are worked by Tortoise motors working in tandem, the lefthand motor controlling the righthand frog polarity and vice-versa.
    Based on the colours of the wiring being used,for trains travelling from lower left to upper right, the left hand frog polarity needs to be red.
    For trains travelling from upper left to lower right the polarity of the left hand frog needs to be white.
    Both of these work fine so no problem there and turnout blades are in correct positions..
    However for a train travelling from lower left to lower right the polarity of the lefthand frog needs to be red again and this is the problem. It would appear that the left hand frog needs to have three power supply feeds, two red + one white, all depending on the direction of train travel chosen
    I am using Tortoise turnout motors and have used one set of contacts on each motor.
    Can anyone solve this dilema as I am becoming very frustrated with it.
    Any help or advice would be appreciated.
    Thank you

2. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
  3. mikeandnel

Thread Starter New Member

May 23, 2009
    For Retched
    Thank you for your response. I have attached a schematic of the single slip as requested.
    The wording on the attachment is correct for a train travelling either from lower left to upper right, or for a train travelling from lower right to upper left or in reverse directions.
    I have achieved this situation.
    However I would like to be able to move a train from lower left to lower right by operating the two turnouts in conjunction with each other from one switch which powers both motors
    This means that the black section on lower left plus the green extension of it (which are joined together so the breaks shown between the two parts do not exist) must be capable of having the polarity changed so that a train travelling from lower left to lower right or from lower left to upper right has the correct polarity in each case.
    Turnout motors are under the switch blades of each point.
    Primary feeds are at centre upper black and centre lower red rails and feeds to the point motors are taken from these feeds.
    Single slip is isolated from all adjacent rails and is therefore a standalone unit.